Thread: Detail Component Manager

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Detail Component Manager

Okay, I want to know if there is any way to get the objects from the Detail Component Manager in ADT into AutoCAD, well easily. I know I can go into my old version of ADT and bring in each block one by one, but if I could avoid that I would like to. It looks like they are pooled from data file as opposed to a folder full of blocks and it would be nice if there was a way you could make it so AutoCAD uses that. Is the detail component manager and its support files something I can simply copy into my current version of AutoCAD's folder and make a button or command to run it?

Anyone that has Ideas please contact me through a private message or through the IM sn on my profile so I can further explain what I am trying to do.

Thanks,

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Detail Component Manager

did you find any answers to this question about the detail component manager.
    It seems that ACAD 2008 does not have the vital feature, but ADT (architecture 200 does.

Let me know whay you find out.

jim.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Detail Component Manager

Not a simple solution. I'm still holding out as long as I can to copy over steel shapes because there are so many of them, but I'm working on bolts and fasteners in my spare tim eright now and I'm pretty much just making a grid with rows for all the diameters and columns for the various types and inserting each one, then exploding and changing them to match my standards and to dynamacize them. It seems like they intentionally designed the detail component manager to not be able to operate outside of ADT or ACA. I was kind of hoping I could just transfer the database files and anything else associated with it into one of the the ACAD08 folders, create a support path to it and then make a button for whatever file runs runs the detail component manager, but I can't seem to find a script file or lisp file or mdb or anything for it on my computer.

Login to Give a bone

Nobody has any other suggestions? Is it set up like this on purpose? Autodesk doesn't want people to be able to easily access and migrate the content that they paid alot of money for?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by asaastad View Post
    Nobody has any other suggestions? Is it set up like this on purpose? Autodesk doesn't want people to be able to easily access and migrate the content that they paid alot of money for?
    Since the detail component manager is not available in vanilla AutoCAD, I'm sure that there isn't going to be an easy way to do this. Since that feature is most likely a selling point of ADT/ACA, by making those features/blocks/objects easily available in AutoCAD isn't good business practice. Imagine a firm of 5 people. You purchase one copy of ACA and 4 of Vanilla (which is cheaper). The person with ACA now goes and makes all of those tools/objects/features specifically available to ACA available to the AutoCAD people. That's not a good business practice for Autodesk, is it?

Login to Give a bone

I agree that it does not make good business sense to allow easy migration of costly features to vanilla AutoCAD, BUT the detail component manager is a drafting tool NOT a modeling tool. It seems ADT, now ACA, is touted as a modeler with full integration of plans, sections, elevations, schedules, etc. In other words, a great drafting tool should be available in vanilla AutoCAD since vanilla AutoCAD is itself a drafting software.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Has anyone completed this task? I will pay you for your file.

Jacob

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jhigginbottom View Post
    Has anyone completed this task? I will pay you for your file.

Jacob
    You are asking someone to break their license terms.