See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Problem selecting viewports

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Problem selecting viewports

This is a first. I'm using 2007 and was attempting to modify a viewport in paperspace when I discovered that I couldn't even select it. The layer the viewport is on, Defpoints....against my better judgment, is on, unlocked and the outlines are visible.

Now, here's the kicker. Layer 0 was off at the time(don't know why). Turn it on and all the viewports become selectable again?!? This has never occurred before.

Any ideas on why this is happening? It just seems odd that Defpoints would rely to some degree on Layer 0.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Problem selecting viewports

Quote Originally Posted by cwjean76 View Post
    This is a first. I'm using 2007 and was attempting to modify a viewport in paperspace when I discovered that I couldn't even select it. The layer the viewport is on, Defpoints....against my better judgment, is on, unlocked and the outlines are visible.

Now, here's the kicker. Layer 0 was off at the time(don't know why). Turn it on and all the viewports become selectable again?!? This has never occurred before.

Any ideas on why this is happening? It just seems odd that Defpoints would rely to some degree on Layer 0.
    I've heard of it before.........somewhere...........seems like layer 0 has to be on for you to select anything on defpoints. They are tied together somehow. As a general rule, I would suggest never putting anything on the defpoints layer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    I've heard of it before.........somewhere...........seems like layer 0 has to be on for you to select anything on defpoints. They are tied together somehow. As a general rule, I would suggest never putting anything on the defpoints layer.
    Yea what ^^^^^ dzatto ^^^^ said, defpoints is connected to layer zero, if layer zero is off or frozen, defpoints can't be selected.

It's best to use a defined layer for viewports like G-ANNO-NPLT (not plot layer).

Login to Give a bone

Well, thanks guys. I was just unaware of that little hiccup. Never came across it before.

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    As a general rule, I would suggest never putting anything on the defpoints layer.
    The way we have it set up now is that only our viewports go on Defpoints. I agree, but trying to get the one in charge of implementing these little things to agree is a different story.

Login to Give a bone

Are your viewports clipped using VPCLIP?

If a viewport is clipped it can actually belong to two layers. The Viewport is on one layer and the LWPOLYLINE that was used for clipping could be on a different layer.

In the past, I've seen odd behavior due to this two layer relationship.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You can search these forums for that Defpoints / Viewport Layer discussion to find some reasons to give the one in charge (pros & cons to each). It's not just the Layer 0 issue that's the problem - there's a few other reasons for not using Defpoints as well. But then there's also a few reasons you don't want to use a manual non-plot layer, e.g. it opens for human error in the Layer Properties dialog.

So it's a decision you'll have to make for yourselves. If you use Defpoints, then always check if Layer 0 is on (amongst some other stuff). If you have a VPort layer, then always check if it's set to non-plot.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bcgatti View Post
    Are your viewports clipped using VPCLIP?
    No. I've never had use for the command. Not yet anyway.

[/quote]If a viewport is clipped it can actually belong to two layers. The Viewport is on one layer and the LWPOLYLINE that was used for clipping could be on a different layer. In the past, I've seen odd behavior due to this two layer relationship.[/quote]

Something else I didn't know. Thanks.