Thread: Tildes in Layer Names

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Tildes in Layer Names

This is a stupid problem, but it really bothers me. I have a custom menu to create new standard layers in a drawing. Some of our detail layers have tildes (~) in the layer names - for example A-DETL-~005.
    ACA 2008 apparently does not allow tildes in layer names, while ADT 2005 does. In the ACA 2008 help file, the list of invalid characters for layer names is compised of the following characters: < > / \ “ : ; ? * | = ‘
    The tilde is not on this list. Am I missing something, or is this an undocumented feature?

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Tildes in Layer Names

Hi jsnyder,

I just tried creating a layer with a tilde in AMEP 2008 and it let me do it. I wouldn't expect ACA 2008 and AMEP 2008 to be different but you never know.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Scott. You never do know. Here is the weird thing. I have an ACA 2008 drawing with all the tilde-containing layer names already in it. I created them with a script I made from the original menu source file. I can copy these layers into a new drawing using Design Center, but I cannot create them using the menu macro, the -LA command, or the layer manager dialog box. When I use the menu macro or try to manually add or change a layer name with a tilde in it, I get the rather disconcerting message attached.

I do not have any particular affinity for tildes, I am simply trying to conform to NCS layer naming conventions. Can anyone else with ACA 2008 confirm this behavior while I await a response from Autodesk?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsnyder.68308 View Post
    Thanks, Scott. You never do know. Here is the weird thing. I have an ACA 2008 drawing with all the tilde-containing layer names already in it. I created them with a script I made from the original menu source file. I can copy these layers into a new drawing using Design Center, but I cannot create them using the menu macro, the -LA command, or the layer manager dialog box. When I use the menu macro or try to manually add or change a layer name with a tilde in it, I get the rather disconcerting message attached.

I do not have any particular affinity for tildes, I am simply trying to conform to NCS layer naming conventions. Can anyone else with ACA 2008 confirm this behavior while I await a response from Autodesk?
    I was not aware tildes were part of the NCS standard, but then again the most recent version of the NCS that I have seen is version 2, so I am a bit behind the times.

I had no problem creating a layer name with a tilde in it. Are you simply creating a layer or creating one from standard? Are you using a custom standard? If so, does the standard impose restrictions on what can be entered into a field - either with wildcards or by requiring that the field match a pre-entered value?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, David. I will persue the layer standard angle since I am able to use tildes in layer names when running vanilla AutoCAD.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

FYI - direct from the horse's mouth at Autodesk:

"The tilde is invalid in AutoCAD 2008 as a wild card in a name because it is used to sort layers. In the help file under “Filter and Sort the List of Layers” other I s chart with syntax options for the use of wildcards. This is why they cannot appear as names in layers.
    I know it is not listed in the error popup that happens if the wrong wild card is used. However, we do not recommend the Tilde for use as part of a layer name in AutoCAD 2008.
    As an aside we have a workaround for AutoCAD 2009 that gets past this, although we do not have a workaround in AutoCAD 2008."

I'm not sure I clearly understand this answer but I can take a hint. No tildes in layer names.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jsnyder.68308 View Post
    FYI - direct from the horse's mouth at Autodesk:

"The tilde is invalid in AutoCAD 2008 as a wild card in a name because it is used to sort layers. In the help file under “Filter and Sort the List of Layers” other I s chart with syntax options for the use of wildcards. This is why they cannot appear as names in layers.
    I know it is not listed in the error popup that happens if the wrong wild card is used. However, we do not recommend the Tilde for use as part of a layer name in AutoCAD 2008.
    As an aside we have a workaround for AutoCAD 2009 that gets past this, although we do not have a workaround in AutoCAD 2008."

I'm not sure I clearly understand this answer but I can take a hint. No tildes in layer names.
    Interesting.

Apparently I received the only 2008 version of the product that allows tildes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Tildes in Layer Names

That is what is confusing to me. I cannot create new layers with tildes in the names, either using the layer dialog box or the -LA command line version, but I can use scripts and design center to create and import layer names with tildes. I can also get layer names with tildes by using a layer key style that maps to inserted detail components. It makes no sense to me, but I am over it already.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry to make you seem less special, but I was able to do it, too. See here, in post above.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It appears that I was suffering from some strange, intangible corruption in our template file. I remade it and all is well in the tilde vs. layer world. User error, I suppose, as usual. As you were...