Thread: modeling an origami type panel

Login to Give a bone

Red face modeling an origami type panel

hello everyone!
    i've been trying to model a panel in revit and i haven't quite found the solution yet...
    i posted a screen shot of what the panel looks like. i made the model in max. I first drew the shape as a plane and then i moved the vertex on the z axis. very easy.
    but the only thing that works this way in revit are floors... for a wall panel i can't mange to get a clean model.
    does anyone have an idea. is there a way to import geometry from max and transform it into something that revit can interact with?
    thanks in advance
    tanguy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: modeling an origami type panel

You can import the Max geometry and use the wall by face option but you are better off trying to create the panel in Revit (IMHO)

Is this a curtain panel?
    Does it need to be parametric i.e. adjustable?
    Is it a one location element or something you want to repeat in numerous locations?
    The onnly reason I ask is that there are always a number of ways to approach a problem and the chosen solution is dictated by what the end game is.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: modeling an origami type panel

thanks for your answer.
    i am indeed trying to model a curtian wall panel. the other thing is that i want to be able to cut rectangular openings perpendicularly to this wall (not to the faces of the origami).
    I would love to import data from max but i never manged to achieve that. the geometry i bring in is always a block that can't be exploded and that doesn't work as a mass instance.
    thanks again
    tanguy

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: modeling an origami type panel

You can make this curtain wall panel by creating two voids and using the faces and edges to create the panel. (Check out the attachment) Keep in mind that these custom panels don't work on the sloped edges of a curtain wall/system or on a curved and sloped curtain system. This is a huge limitation.

As for importing data from Max, I would throw Rhino or Autocad into the mix (3ds max - rhino - Revit. You will have to clean up the geometry in Rhino and import it as a sat file in Revit. (The horrible Interoperability between Autodesk products has always been a mystery to its customers.) The recommended workflow is to use Digital Project or Generative Components to at least maintain some BIM/parametric control.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andrew P; 2008-06-08 at 10:18 AM.