Thread: How do I set up VRay/Max 9 distributed rendering

Login to Give a bone

Smile How do I set up VRay/Max 9 distributed rendering

Hi guys n gals,

I have had enough. Missing deadlines because my model takes a hundred years to render.

Can anyone advise me what I need to install on other machines to set up distributed rendering with my 1.5 VRay? My IT guy here isn't 100 pct sure what he's supposed to install, whether it's the full program or just Backburner.

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely appreciated. I have a three view project this week which will almost certainly miss the deadline if I don't get this up and running.

Many thanks
    depth3d

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How do I set up VRay/Max 9 distributed rendering

Hey,

I'm pretty sure that DR doesn't require using Backburner. Just click Settings (ironically in the settings tab), Add Server and type in the name of each workstaion/server you would like to utilize. I can't reacall if the UNC path "\\" is necessary or not.

Good luck!

Login to Give a bone

loydg, thanks for the help. I have been hitting every forum I belong to to get a handle on this business. It seems that I load the complete program of Max which, even with the 30 days trial limitation, VRay DR picks up providing VRayspawner is running on the server pc's.

I have a bit of a problem, though, with wondering how to edit paths within Max if I have any changes to materials and component locations on my works network. If I can't open the program on the server machine to edit the path values, how does that work? I assumed (ha, silly me) that the host machine would dictate where the relevant paths were and the servers would simply follow that link. I would love to hear from anyone who can clear that particular chestnut up for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

depth3d

Login to Give a bone

Ooo! Good question. This problem can burst a production pipeline.

The best approach is to always use UNC paths with external resources (i.e. \\networkserver\projectfolder\max\etc ). If for whatever reason the path gets broken, there are a couple of ways to remedy the problem, but I have a preferred way:

Instead of setting up a network path that sticks with Max, I use the Bitmap/Photometric Path editor in the Utility Panel. It's pretty simple to use and is much more stabel than Resouce Collector. This fixes the file so it looks in the right network location(s) for its resources. I've uploaded a screen grab of it.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Glen, you're a star. Where abouts in Max does this facility reside? Does this mean that if a particular file used for what ever purpose in the scene - material or component - will be hunted down like a dog if the location of that file is changed for what ever reason so that the render will continue rather than stall?

Login to Give a bone

This utility is located in the "More" area of the Utility Panel (little hammer). Unfortunately it doesn't hunt down the resources for you. You have to know where they are. It only redirects the resources to the appropriate network path. It will show you where the "old" map resided, or at least where Max was looking for it.

The Resouce Collector will take all the scene assets and copy them to a specified folder/destination. The only drawback is it works best if all the paths are correct to begin with. If not, it had a tendancy to crash.

Hopefully that helps.

Login to Give a bone

Glen, Can't begin to thank you enough. I've only been using DR for two days (this is the 2nd) and still fumbling my way in the dark here so it seems. Get ocassional burst of illumination from helpful Gods such as yourself. Getting there. Getting there.

Patrick

ps. it's suddenly occurred to me! Glen, this is Pat Smith. I was with PB in Bristol and was on the verge of moving family, house, country and everything to come to work in the Seattle or Denver office. This job came up at the last minute and I stayed. I work with Roberts Gardner Architects in Gloucester - three miles from home. It was a tough call, but the rest of my family were relieved, I think. It's great to talk with you again.

Login to Give a bone

Patrick,

I do recall your alias from pbviz.com. Glad to hear you got something in the area you were searching. Always happy to help (keeps me on my toes). When you get your image all done (and the powers that be give a thumbs up, be sure to post the image in the gallery).

Regards,

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Patrick,

Heres some more random bits of help and info:

-DR will work through backburner...
    -it works on animated sequences as well....though i think you guys only do stills , right.
    -i would put all textures on a network accessible location for all the render nodes. (preferably on a windows server so you don;t have to worry about the 10 computer limit should you decide to get another licence of vray to up your DR servers)
    -the spawners always have to be running in order to use DR ( you probably know that one already)
    -make sure that all plugins and scripts are identical on all the render nodes
    -install max as usual on all the nodes as well as vray...but during the vray install choose the render/dr option...then fill in your authorization stuff after.
    -vray dr allows for 10 computers per licence for DR...so ideally having dual quad cores per machine is the best

Hope all is well with ya....how's the star trek phaser coming along?