Thread: Alternate Bids???

Login to Give a bone

Default Alternate Bids???

Anyone have a good suggestion as to how to do alternate bids. We're working on a new school and basically have two double loaded classroom 'wings', and each wing has an alternate to add two more classrooms on the end of them. I'm not too sure as the best way to go about doing this. Which is the better method....Design Options, Worksets, something else??? I don't have enough forsight to see which method is better in the long run. Thanks for any suggestions

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Alternate Bids???

I typically model them either on a separate workset, or another phase after my new construction phase. Then I show a separate "alternate plan" at the end of my architectural set, like on my A900 sheets.

If the alternate is an either/or situation, then I might do it as a design option.

For extra school classrooms, I would probably do it on a phase after your new construction phases with the rest of the building.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would do it as a design option if its either/or; or a phase if it is a now and later issue. I dont go the workset route as ive (personally) found it leads to problems later...

Login to Give a bone

We just previously completed a small building where a few rooms and their associated finishes and fixtures were bid out as an alternate (one whole end of the building was just a shell under base bid). Then we had another alternate for some millwork.

I created that first alternate on a separate later phase, and then had my alternate plans on A900 with all of the base bid stuff shown as halftone (since it was all existing to remain on a previous phase).

However for the millwork, since those were just objects in the room, I just created a separate workset for those few items, with that workset off by default.

In the end it all was pretty clear and worked out well.