Thread: Inventor Pipe Routing vers Autoplant!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Inventor Pipe Routing vers Autoplant!

Can someone please give me some info on the use of Inventor "Pipe-Routing". We need to develop ISO's via "IsoGen" which is what Inventor uses as does most other popular Piping softwares. Problem is Inventor has a very limited Parts library for piping & not nearly the amount of material specs that "Cadworx or Autoplant" has. Does anybody use Inventor for large piping projects & how effective is it for the larger jobs. For General Arrangement dwgs you can't beat Inventor! However it is the ISO's & transferrable specification info that seems to be an issue here!
    Thanks for any feedback from you fellow "Pipers"!
    Paul Rymal

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Inventor Pipe Routing vers Autoplant!

Paul -

1) Please understand I'm an Inventor convert. I was hardcore AutoCAD from the mid-80's, but since I found IV beginning with v10.... I've completely converted. I now use ACAD only to open drawings from clients.

2) That doesn't mean I don't look back longingly at some things I used to be able to do very easily in ACAD/ProPipe & CadPipe. Yes, the IV parts library is very limited. In addition, there seem to be far more constraints on pipe runs (initial fitting placement, branch connections, line size changes, etc) in IV. It's got some very nice features, but I find it more practical for running instrument tubing than doing plant layout. Much of our work is probably better done in CadWorx, but there are only so many tools you can maintain proficiency at Maybe some day. But then again, maybe someday, plant-level piping design will be better in IV.

3) I'm still wrestling with a lot of IV piping challenges, learning every day. I have 2009 on a prototype machine, but not in production yet. One of my obstacles has always been pitched piping. IV 2009 now incorporates this, but as I said.... I haven't really put it to use yet.

4) Regarding ISOGEN output. I too have this need... and have had a MISERABLE time trying to get any info on standalone ISOGEN licensing. Tried a couple of resellers, and Alias and Bentley. All I want to find is a stand-alone license, but it seems like you can only get it as OEM bundled with something else. <shrug> Sorry, can't help you there.

Cheers -
    Todd

Login to Give a bone

Regarding to stand alone license feel free to contact me on private mail zguljo@gmail.com, i will gladly help you..

Vedran

Quote Originally Posted by todd.harris View Post
    Paul -

1) Please understand I'm an Inventor convert. I was hardcore AutoCAD from the mid-80's, but since I found IV beginning with v10.... I've completely converted. I now use ACAD only to open drawings from clients.

2) That doesn't mean I don't look back longingly at some things I used to be able to do very easily in ACAD/ProPipe & CadPipe. Yes, the IV parts library is very limited. In addition, there seem to be far more constraints on pipe runs (initial fitting placement, branch connections, line size changes, etc) in IV. It's got some very nice features, but I find it more practical for running instrument tubing than doing plant layout. Much of our work is probably better done in CadWorx, but there are only so many tools you can maintain proficiency at Maybe some day. But then again, maybe someday, plant-level piping design will be better in IV.

3) I'm still wrestling with a lot of IV piping challenges, learning every day. I have 2009 on a prototype machine, but not in production yet. One of my obstacles has always been pitched piping. IV 2009 now incorporates this, but as I said.... I haven't really put it to use yet.

4) Regarding ISOGEN output. I too have this need... and have had a MISERABLE time trying to get any info on standalone ISOGEN licensing. Tried a couple of resellers, and Alias and Bentley. All I want to find is a stand-alone license, but it seems like you can only get it as OEM bundled with something else. <shrug> Sorry, can't help you there.

Cheers -
    Todd

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

This is straight from the Inventor Routed Systems AOTC manual:

"Inventor Routed Systems is not designed for process piping..."

Now that has not stopped a lot of my customers who make their own iParts Library and put it into the Content Center and utilize it to do their work, it just wasn't designed for it. The authoring process of adding the content to the library will allow creation of ISOGEN properties to get exported to an ISOGEN program. If you do use it for process piping or industrial factory layouts, you will most likely create your own library and provide information for the ISOGEN and use it only in a top level or mock fashion. The idea that the Routed Systems package is designed for Skid based layouts is also reflected in the assembly performance of larger work. Once Inventor hits about 15-18 pipe runs it starts to tank (pun intended) unless you have a 64 bit machine and a lot of RAM. So, yes you can do it, but it will require some upfront dedication to the process.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Inventor Pipe Routing vers Autoplant!

Hello Paul,

Mark has 100% right when he talks about creat your own library. It is needed because you have to add some properties that Inventor has not provided. Also some other errors are embedded in the isogen pcf-file. Therefore a Isogenpatcher is needed. To build a isometric some other information is needed and that can come from an database like access.We are a group that has developed a nice connection between Inventor and Smartplant Isometrics and we can now produce complete isometrics with all information needed.
    If you are interestead so contact me at johan.johansson@rordesign.se.
    Regards,
    Johan

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Traveller View Post
    Can someone please give me some info on the use of Inventor "Pipe-Routing". We need to develop ISO's via "IsoGen" which is what Inventor uses as does most other popular Piping softwares. Problem is Inventor has a very limited Parts library for piping & not nearly the amount of material specs that "Cadworx or Autoplant" has. Does anybody use Inventor for large piping projects & how effective is it for the larger jobs. For General Arrangement dwgs you can't beat Inventor! However it is the ISO's & transferrable specification info that seems to be an issue here!
    Thanks for any feedback from you fellow "Pipers"!
    Paul Rymal
    Hello there!
    I work for a company called Rördesign i Göteborg AB, where office is in Gothenburg, Sweden. We have developed an add-in for Inventor and replaced the buttom "Isogen Output" with a buttom called "Isogen Output +". With this tool you can generate good pcf-file for Isogen. The reseller for this product is NTI Cadcenter with office in Sweden. Contact person is Christian Andersson. The head office is in Denmark, Værløse.
    For more info if you are interested:

www.nticad.se and
    http://www.nticad.se/produkter/cad-f...-standard.aspx
    mail: info@nticad.se

www.rordesign.se for info of the Engineering company.

All the best.
    / Johan