Thread: Design Options and Circuiting

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Design Options and Circuiting

So we had a generic layout for several floors of power and lighting. The power and lighting had been circuited and tagged. The client came back and asked us to an alternate design. “Sure no problem” so we created an alternate in design options. Then we selected all the components (-view dependant elements) and added them to our design option alternate. When we did this all of the circuiting was deleted. As was all the tags and load descriptions. Is this as intended? So now we have to go back and redo all of the circuiting. What is going to happen when the client decides on the scheme and I go to accept Primary? Is it going to remove all of the circuiting again?
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Design Options and Circuiting

Is anyone using design options? This is the first project that we are using design options. I have looked in help but it has nothing about design options and circuiting. Maybe I am missing something. Anyone have any advice?
    Thanks,
    Margaret Wiggins
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Design Options and Circuiting

FYI on design options from support:

"Thank you for your patience on this case. Unfortunately, not all features of Revit MEP are designed to work with design options. Design options are fine for showing physical locations, but they cannot support system or circuit options. In addition, when you draw devices or light fixtures and circuit these, and then attempt to move these to a design option, essentially a copy/paste action is being performed, and copy/paste does not carry circuit information. The same is true for Mechanical Systems as well.
    The way to approach this is to do one of two things: 1) Only use design options to present physical locations of devices, lights, etc., but only circuit once the final layout is determined, or 2) create separate Revit files for each option if you need to include circuit or system information in the design."

Margaret Wiggins
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you for sharing that information with us. It's useful to know not only the strengths of the software but the limitations as well.
    Sorry you didn't get any response from the forums, we weren't using design options for alternate circuiting and I should have piped up.

Login to Give a bone

I wanted to add that you can circuit in the actual design option. All items must be apart of the design option. So if you are going to use design options, create the option prior to doing any circuiting. Also, I have not found a way to copy/monitor the rooms from the arch file for the design option. I am waiting on Autodesk to get back to me on that.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

i'm having a similar issue, i've created design options in a housing project, some units have 2nd floor balconies with an exterior door from a bedroom. so i made design options for balcony and no balcony, one has an exterior receptacle, switch and light fixture, the other doesn't. it works fine when linked into the buildings, i can turn on or off the balcony devices just fine. that was in DD's, now in CD's, i've circuited the units, and it won't let me circuit these receptacles and lights that are part of a design option.

Login to Give a bone

The panel that you want to circuit these devices to also needs to be part of the design option. That is the only way I can get it to work. We had to put text for circiuting that was not 100% contained in the design option and manually keep track of the load.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com