Thread: Having a Duh moment

All AUGI, all the time gfreddog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Having a Duh moment

Having a Duh moment....

Now I know Chris will finally be able to get back at me for this one

A little history first. I formerly was at a company that used AutoCAD 2006 / 2007 and left there for a company that turned out had 2004. So, just as I was getting up to speed on DB's I lost a year of productivity .

Well, I was able to convince our company to go for the AutoCAD 2008 MEP/Revit Suite and there was much rejoicing Yea!!!!

So now I am finally "TRYING" to get back up to speed on DB's and here is my question (A little long so please bear with me):

I have a blank drawing. I create a block. And save the drawing in my library as alpha.dwg (as an example)

Now I decide to make it Dynamic. So I open alpha.dwg and use the Block Editor to add my bells and whistles. Once done I hit Close Block Editor. Hit Save and close the drawing.

If I want to add the DB from alpha.dwg to my Tool Pallet, I use Design Center and drag that block from alpha.dwg onto the tab I want and all is good.

So now my question is... If I open alpha.dwg I click on Block Editor to edit the block.

But occasionally I get block drawings from others (AUGI Site or Chris the Block God) and when I open them there is a pop-up that says "BLOCK.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Yes, No, Cancel" and if you hit yes it goes into the Block Editor and when I hit Close Block Editor it closes the drawing.

What makes one DB drawing open one way and what the other?

Clear as mud?

Thanks;

Red Dog
    Last edited by gfreddog; 2008-06-17 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Bad typing

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Having a Duh moment

Quote Originally Posted by gfreddog View Post
    Having a Duh moment....

Now I know Chris will finally be able to get back at me for this one

A little history first. I formerly was at a company that used AutoCAD 2006 / 2007 and left there for a company that turned out had 2004. So, just as I was getting up to speed on DB's I lost a year of productivity .

Well, I was able to convince our company to go for the AutoCAD 2008 MEP/Revit Suite and there was much rejoicing Yea!!!!

So now I am finally "TRYING" to get back up to speed on DB's and here is my question (A little long so please bear with me):

I have a blank drawing. I create a block. And save the drawing in my library as alpha.dwg (as an example)

Now I decide to make it Dynamic. So I open alpha.dwg and use the Block Editor to add my bells and whistles. Once done I hit Close Block Editor. Hit Save and close the drawing.

If I want to add the DB from alpha.dwg to my Tool Pallet, I use Design Center and drag that block from alpha.dwg onto the tab I want and all is good.

So now my question is... If I open alpha.dwg I click on Block Editor to edit the block.

But occasionally I get block drawings from others (AUGI Site or Chris the Block God) and when I open them there is a pop-up that says "BLOCK.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Yes, No, Cancel" and if you hit yes it goes into the Block Editor and when I hit Close Block Editor it closes the drawing.

Clear as mud?

Thanks;

Red Dog
    um... What did you name the block that was contained in alpha.dwg? (That is a clue) ... Go Chris Go Chris!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If wblock the block defintion you'll get just the defintion in the resulting drawing. Opening that drawing will cause the message you see
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Clear as mud?

Thanks;

Red Dog
    I'll bet the ones that you get from the "block god" are raw blocks (the actual block definition) and the one in your "alpha.dwg" is a block in your alpha.dwg. In other words, you have a block definition (named something other than "alpha") in your drawing.

Clear as thinner mud?

All AUGI, all the time gfreddog's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz View Post
    um... What did you name the block that was contained in alpha.dwg? (That is a clue) ... Go Chris Go Chris!
    Both same....

But after some playing....

I create a DB in some other drawing. Once finished I close the Block Editor, highlight the block and W Block it. I save it as alpha.dwg.

When I open it voila! I get "alpha.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Yes, No, Cancel"

Like I said
    Having a Duh moment
    Thank you everyone!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

If you open the actual block drawing ALPHA.DWG you will get the "Open in Block Editor?" question.

If ALPHA is a block within drawing BETA.DWG and you right-click on ALPHA block and "Open Block Editor..." it will automatically open in the block editor because AutoCAD knows ALPHA is a block within a drawing.

Clear as mud, yet?

Nancy

Both same....

But after some playing....

I create a DB in some other drawing. Once finished I close the Block Editor, highlight the block and W Block it. I save it as alpha.dwg.

When I open it voila! I get "alpha.dwg contains authoring elements. Open in Block Editor? Yes, No, Cancel"

Like I said

Thank you everyone!