Thread: intellicad capability with civil land desktop

Login to Give a bone

Default intellicad capability with civil land desktop

please help - our new project manager wants us to share drawings - he is "the expert" and says it is ok to give him our 2005 land desktop civil drawing for him to work on at home in his INTELLICAD PRODUCT - and then give back to us and the drawing/project files will all be ok - is this true?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: intellicad capability with civil land desktop

Quote Originally Posted by ANGELA.HONTS
    please help - our new project manager wants us to share drawings - he is "the expert" and says it is ok to give him our 2005 land desktop civil drawing for him to work on at home in his INTELLICAD PRODUCT - and then give back to us and the drawing/project files will all be ok - is this true?
    As long as you do not have to SAVE BACKwards, or Export to AutoCAD
    to give them to him sure.
    IF he doesn't exlode any object ARX objects....
    Approach this with caution, and do a limited test before
    you go full out with it.
    Or why not use the portable license utility and have him work in
    Land? That would be most prudent. Or even install a full on copy
    as permitted in your license agreement?

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the reply - greatly appreciated
    i like your suggestions,however, he does not understand (and does not want to know) how files are stored with projects etc. - he just does not like working in newer versions of cad - he wants intellicad - i am very concerned about autodesk point attributes and contour information being skewed as well as profile and cross section data.

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

IntelliCAD is the poor man's Autocad . It DOES NOT have LDT functionality and anything he does will not be updated in the Database files of the project. If all he is doing is editting text, inserting blocks and such, you should have no problem. If he is going to change alignments, profiles and surfaces (read elevations in the surface) then you will need to redo everything he does in LDT in order for it to update the project files.

You can run Lisp inside IntelliCAD and VBA, but not ARX programs ( unless they added that functionality in the last release).

Good luck, I had to work with folks like this before and I finally ended up finding another job because it was too much of a headache to try and show them what they were doing was corrupting the project data and then fixing the problem while trying to stay within budget.

Login to Give a bone

thank you for your reply - i loved the icons - i needed the laugh
    now if he just edits text and minor stuff - will my contours still be ok - or will him saving it in intellicad corrupt stuff? also, will intellicad read autocad 2005 without me having to save it backwards?

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If your contours were created from a surface, you can always bring them back into the drawing at any time. Or better yet, save the contours as an xref and then he won't need to mess with them.

As far as reading 2005, it depends on which version of IntelliCAD he is using. If he puts all of his edits on a separate layer, then you can just import that layer into the drawings and replace the existing data with his. Save his file under a different name, use Map to query into your drawing the layer he put his stuff on and your good to go.