Thread: Elbow family not reflecting pipe size

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Elbow family not reflecting pipe size

Am I the only person having this problem with elbows? I don't think I modified the OotB elbow family, but if the OotB family really has a problem, I can't believe no one mentioned it before now.

When I draw pipes and look at them at a fine level of detail, the sizes of the elbows appear messed up. They look like they aren't sizing to fit the pipe, though if you click the elbow and look at the element properties, it claims to be the right size.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I can't tell what controls the size of the profile in the elbow family.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elbow family not reflecting pipe size

Open the elbow family and look at the "Lookup Table Name" parameter. The default one is 'Pipe Fittings.csv' I believe. Now browse to the location of the lookup tables which is specified in the Revit.ini file (default should be C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Autodesk/RME 2008/Lookup Tables), and make sure the appropriate .csv file is there.

The size of the sweep for the elbow is most likely determined by the "PipeOD" column in the .csv file and called "Radius" in the Revit family.

If it is still not working after this is verified, you might want to reinstall the family from either the web, or dvd.

-Jon

All AUGI, all the time kyle.bernhardt's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Mabrey is correct here. The LookupTable function is driving the dimensions of the elbow family based upon the value of the connect diameter parameter. Sounds like that function is failing to find a valid value.

If things appear to be set up properly, please upload the family and CSV file for us to take a look.

Cheers,
    Kyle B

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the responses.

The family file looked fine to me. The .csv file looked fine to me. Jon mentioned checking the Revit.ini file, and sure enough, that's where the problem was. It had the worng path for the lookup files (and a bunch of other files, too).

I had installed Revit on my machine before everyone else's, so that I could update the content and templates, which we keep on our network. While I was doing that, I had the content in temporary directories. When I pushed Revit out for everyone to use, I archived the old directories, moved the new content to the normal content directories, and went to Settings>Options to change file locations. That didn't affect the lookup file or IES file locations, though. I guess you have to edit the .ini file directly for that.

Now I know. Thanks, everyone.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mabrey View Post
    Open the elbow family and look at the "Lookup Table Name" parameter. The default one is 'Pipe Fittings.csv' I believe. Now browse to the location of the lookup tables which is specified in the Revit.ini file (default should be C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Autodesk/RME 2008/Lookup Tables), and make sure the appropriate .csv file is there.

The size of the sweep for the elbow is most likely determined by the "PipeOD" column in the .csv file and called "Radius" in the Revit family.

If it is still not working after this is verified, you might want to reinstall the family from either the web, or dvd.

-Jon
    i have the same problem in version 2012 , i looked up the direction (default should be C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Autodesk/RME 2008/Lookup Tables) and i dont found any *.csv file , Can anyone tell me what to do?!!!
    at least share this file plz (M_Pipe Fitting - Generic.csv) .
    TNX alot !
    Last edited by MoRGaN_sh; 2012-09-23 at 05:07 AM.