See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DATE auto update upon save attribute?, Script?, Windows System Setting?

Login to Give a bone

Red face DATE auto update upon save attribute?, Script?, Windows System Setting?

Hi right now i am working with Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2004... I have a particular text character (06/20/0 for example that should automatically update to the current date every time the drawing is saved but I am not sure how it was originally set up to do this and now this function is only working on one pc and none of the others... does anyone know off the top of their heads how this might have been set up? I suppose there are many ways that it can be accomplished... Thanks, Laurie

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DATE auto update upon save attribute?, Script?, Windows System Setting?

Hi Laurie, welcome to AUGI.

You probably have a lisp routine being loaded at (acad) start-up, probably within an "acad.lsp" or "acaddoc.lsp" file on the pc where it works correctly. The routine probably contains one or more calls to the "CDATE" function.
    These files can be read (and edited) in Notepad.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DATE auto update upon save attribute?, Script?, Windows System Setting?

Thanks for the advice... have not had any time since to even look into it... I need to figure out how to set up a block drawing with a date text character that can then be inserted into our drawings so that the date will update automatically everytime the drawing is accessed and/or saved... before it was set up like that and the block was i guess exploded but i am not exactly sure about that either... since then all the systems have been updated and no one was still here that knew how it was set up even though everyone really misses not having it now... I have dabbled some with these things I am sure it is really not that hard similar to a date plot stamp or something I suppose but this is just a single line font date character, it is just a matter of having the time to spend to figure it out... Thanks again, Laurie

Login to Give a bone

If you're starting over, look into FIELDS.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    If you're starting over, look into FIELDS.
    Fields don't exist in AutoCAD 2004.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Fields don't exist in AutoCAD 2004.
    Damn! (good catch)

then RTEXT perhaps?

Login to Give a bone

RText has its own issues so I never recommend it. The easiest solution is to place the text object on a unique layer, and write a bit of Visual LISP code the executes when a drawing is opened to update the text object.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: DATE auto update upon save attribute?, Script?, Windows System Setting?

Well I know it has been a while... but I have made it work by using the Rtext command thanks for all the great tips everyone... I do believe that before it was set up using a visual lisp code and I still have not figured that one out... but Rtext works and so far I have not run into any issues yet, I think we may be upgrading to a new version of AutoCad soon but I an not sure about that either.... Thanks Again!!!

Login to Give a bone

Hi, I am now needing to create the same date text with LT 2011, I am thinking maybe I can use a field or Lisp? I think I would like to use Lisp... I have only dabbled with it, any pointers anyone... I have to locate the existing file from 2004 and then import to LT 2011? Well I will be working on it.. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

You probably will have trouble getting any lisp working with LT. LT doesn't allow the use of AutoLISP.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast