Thread: How to get an AutoCAD book published?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to get an AutoCAD book published?

I teach high school drafting and CAD and I have a pretty good method of teaching the basics of AutoCAD to our students. I also use it in Adult Continuing Education classes that I teach as well. I do not get into anything complicated and focus only on the most basic commands and the students seem to pick up on it very easily.

I have often been frustrated with the lack of a good, basic CAD book for people who are new to the field. I have some ideas on what I would like to do in order to create one but I do not know who to go to.

I assume that to use the AutoCAD name and images that you would have to get their permission. Does anyone know how to start this procedure. I know that if adults with no previous knowledge can learn it in four nights then other people can too.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to get an AutoCAD book published?

Quote Originally Posted by tfulmer View Post
    I teach high school drafting and CAD and I have a pretty good method of teaching the basics of AutoCAD to our students. I also use it in Adult Continuing Education classes that I teach as well. I do not get into anything complicated and focus only on the most basic commands and the students seem to pick up on it very easily.

I have often been frustrated with the lack of a good, basic CAD book for people who are new to the field. I have some ideas on what I would like to do in order to create one but I do not know who to go to.

I assume that to use the AutoCAD name and images that you would have to get their permission. Does anyone know how to start this procedure. I know that if adults with no previous knowledge can learn it in four nights then other people can too.
    First of all welcome to AUGI and gongrats on your first post.

I have lectured in the past, for just three years at a local Polytechnic College, running 12 week Autocad basic and advanced courses.
    I briefly looked at producing publishable documentation, from what I learnt as long as you give correct notification of ownerships, copyrights and trademarks as required you will not require personal/individual permission to produce and hopefully publish such works. The hurdle however in my limited experience is to find a publisher willing to accept and publish your book in exactly the same way that up and coming fiction writers struggle. Obviously a major benefit in persuading publishers to take your project on board would be for you to have lectured or taught at Autodesk run events (e.g. Autodesk University, Cad Camps etc).

Having said that, investigate further the copyright/permission issue, a few well placed phone calls will go a long way to black and white the situation.

I wish you luck though (and I want a signed copy ) .

All the best,
    Steve

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to get an AutoCAD book published?

Quote Originally Posted by tfulmer View Post

Have you looked at Terry Wohlers books? They are the best and possibly only self guided text book that can be used in the class room as well as someone working on their own.

Good luck in your endeavors.