Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training an ex-Microstation user

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Training an ex-Microstation user

Does anyone have any advice for training architectural staff that used to use Microstation? I have one user that I'm having trouble getting into the AutoCAD frame of mind. I don't know what he's thinking as I have never used Microstation myself, and it's really getting frustrating.

He keeps telling me things like "Well, I could do (some obscure function) in Microstation, can AutoCAD do that?" I then show him how to do the same thing, more or less, in AutoCAD. I really don't have time for this. He's been to AutoCAD training outside of work before, but it didn't seem to stick.

Does anyone know of any AutoCAD training that is directed towards Microstation users? I need to get this guy more productive soon.

Thanks for your help,

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Training an ex-Microstation user

>_> whenever he mentions MS, get a ruler and smack his hands.
    The easiest way is to have someone that knows both programs do the training and walk him through some things.
    I've dabbled in MS for a while, and then started using AutoCAD. Was a bit of a stretch for me, but I learned how to use both programs. Recently we had someone who used only MS until they came to my company. And the thing is, he's learning how to use Civil 3D. If he wants to know how to do something, he'll ask me and I'll walk him through it. If I don't know, I'll do some research and get back to him. But, like me, he is trying, and I believe he'll be good at both progs.
    It also sounds like he doesn't want to learn to use AutoCAD and wants to stick with MS.
    You could always point him to AUGI if you don't have the time to walk him through his questions all the time. There are a lot of people on here that can help him.

Login to Give a bone

Just shoot him now and save everyone a lot of grief.

j/k

These people may be able to help.

Login to Give a bone

An old co worker of mine had a book he used. I am not a 100% on this title but it was Microstation for the Autocad user or Autocad for the Microstation user. What i liked about the book is there was a section that listed the commands in Autocad and then the equivalent in Microstation and a description about how to use the command. I will search a bit on the internet if i come up with the actual title i will post it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rstiles View Post
    I will search a bit on the internet if i come up with the actual title i will post it.
    The book you were referring to is called "MicroStation for AutoCAD Users" by Frank Grabowski. I have a copy of that book that I am no longer using -- cover shipping and i can send it to you Marc.

Also, it has been a few years but I helped a large office of uStn users migrate to AutoCAD; there was a lot of grumbling from the users not being able to do certain commands. More often than not, it was due to inexperience in acad. Since microstation is/(was?) predominately button-centric, I made a tent card for the users which outlined equivalent buttons/commands between the two programs. If i can dig that up, i'll be glad to email it to you. This was back in the days of MSSE and MS/J, so i don't know if much has changed since. Some of the big differences are in referencing/self-referencing vs xrefs. If your user has specific questions about how to do something, send me a list of questions and i'll see if i can help.

Other than that, maybe the best thing to do is send him/her to an autocad fundamentals class for a few days to get the basics.

- Jon

p.s. noticed that you said they already took an autocad class and that hasn't helped. We had some users *very* resitant to the software switch, and some of these honestly took a month(s) to get up to speed. It wasn't until the attitudes softened and the endless comparisons about what autocad could 'not' do, was there any real progress.
    Last edited by kingjosiah; 2008-06-28 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added p.s.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kingjosiah View Post
    The book you were referring to is called "MicroStation for AutoCAD Users" by Frank Grabowski.
    Judging by the title isn't that the opposite of what is wanted?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Yep. Guess there wasn't/isn't much need for an Autocad for Microstation Users book so no one wrote one.

FWIW i didn't get much out of the book myself....you learn much more much faster just by sitting down and working with the software....the books can only take you so far...

Login to Give a bone

As an AutoCAD user who has to use Microstation occaisionally for either 3D work or to translate AutoCAD data to Microstation I can understand this guys frustations.

Although he has it easy, the general feeling is that it is a lot easier to go from Microstation to AutoCAD as opposed to vice versa. My opinion is that for simple common fast drafting you can't beat AutoCAD when used properly. I feel very constrained by having to use icons in ustn, at least AutoCAD has icons for ustn users to use in the same manner they are used to. Me as a keyboardist in CAD I struggle in ustn.

Microstation undoubtadley has some excellent features which AutoCAD does not have, but also has some confusing aspects as mentioned earlier with references (how can a "base" or global origin be different in 2 different drawings yet it is still possible to reference one into the other in the correct relative place?!)

Once you venture into the world of 3D Microstation is definately a more capable bit of softwate in my opinion when dealing with complex geometry and this is where the two programs start to differ more and more.

Your guy has to just accept that the two are different and both have pros and cons, after all, if they were much more closely related what would be the point in having them both?
    To be honest, if he doesn't have the capability to learn AutoCAD then is he actually going to ever become a good technician?
    The best CAD operators think in a certain way to solve problems and come up with solutions using the tools available what ever they may be. If he can not transfer his skills then unless you have a requirement for a ustn user I would consider cutting him loose unless he bucks his ideas up. You have shown commitment to him by sending him on training and by the sounds of it also given him ample opportunity to step up and he has not delivered.

Appologies for the rant, but it's an all too common problem here which annoys some of the superb operators I am fortunate enough to work with.

Login to Give a bone

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Mst and Autocad more a way to do things than a goal itself? I mean you don't have an Autocad team just to have it. Your team creates something, so I think it's quite possible to have a marveillous designer who is not good in Autocad or Mst. Mst or Autocad is in the company I work for "customer related" : we have clients who demand DWG's and others who demand DGN's.
    Mst to Autocad, it's another way of thinking. Most of the Mst commands can, if they don't exist, be made through Autolisp. I think of e.g. rotate with copy), you can copy, you can rotate, but you'll be surprised to find out how much time you gain if you can copy something and rotate it in the same action. I've created in lisp the command CRT, and with four lines of lispcode, it combines both actions.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bruno.vankogelenberg View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Mst and Autocad more a way to do things than a goal itself? I mean you don't have an Autocad team just to have it. Your team creates something, so I think it's quite possible to have a marveillous designer who is not good in Autocad or Mst. Mst or Autocad is in the company I work for "customer related" : we have clients who demand DWG's and others who demand DGN's.
    Mst to Autocad, it's another way of thinking. Most of the Mst commands can, if they don't exist, be made through Autolisp. I think of e.g. rotate with copy), you can copy, you can rotate, but you'll be surprised to find out how much time you gain if you can copy something and rotate it in the same action. I've created in lisp the command CRT, and with four lines of lispcode, it combines both actions.
    You're right, of course.
    In many respects AutoCAD v MicroStation is like Ford v General Motors - but - Ford and G.M. controls generally work the same way to do the same things. Imagine if Ford cars had pedals in the opposite order and a reversed gear selector.
    How about a steering wheel that you turn clockwise to go left?

As for your example Copy & Rotate, it's one of the first things most (IME) learner lisp programmers create because it was such an obvious omission (but see MOCORO in Express Tools).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast