Thread: Your method to quickly deal wiht color per VP??

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Your method to quickly deal wiht color per VP??

I really like that this feature was added. Anyhow, I was hoping that some of you would have some LISP routines or something, maybe a quick and easy method so that someone could employ this into their workflow? While I like the ability to do this, is seems a bit slow to have to go through and select layers via the dialog and change there. Seems if someone had a routine whereas you could just envoke to command, select any entity on said layer and simply pick from a color box and then that would apply to that current vp. Would be even nicer if within that color picker dialong box if there would be a way to extend that color per VP to other named vp's. Anyone please?

Thanks much!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Your method to quickly deal wiht color per VP??

Anyone please??

Login to Give a bone

To my knowledge, the viewport specific colors / linetypes are not easily retrieved.

You might try layer states per viewport.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

We use sheet sets and therefore try to avoid any layer states for sheet appearance.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadman_meg View Post
    We use sheet sets and therefore try to avoid any layer states for sheet appearance.
    It was just a suggestion.

You can set one viewport how you want it. Save the layer state. Activate another viewport you want to have the same way. Restore the previously saved layer state for the currently active viewport.

That's probably the quickest way I can think of at the moment to duplicate one viewport's layer state into a different viewport.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks Opie. Anyone else use this function? Seems a good way to go if you have multiple layouts. Am curious though, how does this pan out when one sends out to a consultant with a previous version... what does it do exactly?

Login to Give a bone

You can export layer states to a file and reimport them for other drawings.
    jUSt

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Or if the 2 viewports are on the same tab - you could use MATCHPROP. You could even copy-n-paste a VP to a different DWG / Layout Tab - and then do MATCHPROP (just remember to turn the VP's On property to Yes again.

As to what LayerStates do: It simply saves a list of layers with their "current" settings to a name you give this state. Then if you so want you restore this state at a later stage. It doesn't do anything automatically - so it shouldn't affect any other users at all, it simply changes the layer's settings to the same as it was when you created the state. Now if you're inside a VP - it will also save those overrides like VPFreeze, VPCOlor, VPLinetype, etc. If you then restore it in another VP - it will set this 2nd VP's layer settings to the same as that of the 1st VP. You can even copy these states between DWG's by Export & Import or Importing directly from a DWG file.

BTW, we're assuming you are using AutoCAD 2008 (or some vertical). The colour overrides per VP only appeared then.