See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Converting file from IMPERIAL to METRIC

Heartland of the Mid-west, home of the Indy 500
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Converting file from IMPERIAL to METRIC

A person from another department at my company asked me if you can just change settings from Imperial to Metric and would everything in the file change to the new settings. I said "I don't know for sure". So I'm asking the nice users of this forum for help.

I have searched within the forum to see if anyone has asked this before. The posts have been situations that a template file has been used to start with. He wants to just change it to metric. Will the data convert or must you go and change each feature/object after you change the settings, or should you start with a Metric template file. Basically, what's the best way to get his data to a METRIC units from IMPERIAL in the fewest steps possible. Also, I read that blocks are saved as the units of the file that it's been created from and will need to be changed in all of them.

He and I thank you ahead of time for any helpful tips or tricks that may do the task needed. Thanks again and have a great day!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Converting file from IMPERIAL to METRIC

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post
    A person from another department at my company asked me if you can just change settings from Imperial to Metric and would everything in the file change to the new settings. I said "I don't know for sure". So I'm asking the nice users of this forum for help.

I have searched within the forum to see if anyone has asked this before. The posts have been situations that a template file has been used to start with. He wants to just change it to metric. Will the data convert or must you go and change each feature/object after you change the settings, or should you start with a Metric template file. Basically, what's the best way to get his data to a METRIC units from IMPERIAL in the fewest steps possible. Also, I read that blocks are saved as the units of the file that it's been created from and will need to be changed in all of them.

He and I thank you ahead of time for any helpful tips or tricks that may do the task needed. Thanks again and have a great day!
    I think it may be possible, depending on what version of AutoCAD you have, like a vertical. The command "aecdwgsetup" allows you to switch units and have the option to have everything scaled and adjusted to the new settings.

If you have this option, I would try it on a saved copy first, sometimes it can give you undesired results.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I think it may be possible, depending on what version of AutoCAD you have, like a vertical. The command "aecdwgsetup" allows you to switch units and have the option to have everything scaled and adjusted to the new settings.

If you have this option, I would try it on a saved copy first, sometimes it can give you undesired results.
    you have to scale the drawing in question up or down by the appropriate units .... .0393700787402 or 25.4 ... and then change the actual drawing units within CAD (if they are not set correctly) in the drawing format pull down ...

that's how i do it, anyway ....

but i've been known to do things badly from time to time ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Openwheeler View Post

It's better to work for nex times over ISO templates.
    When you insert any block change scale.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    you have to scale the drawing in question up or down by the appropriate units .... .0393700787402 or 25.4 ... and then change the actual drawing units within CAD (if they are not set correctly) in the drawing format pull down ...

that's how i do it, anyway ....

but i've been known to do things badly from time to time ....
    Yup, that too. My option switches the units, with the option of scaling blocks and xrefs automatically (sometimes you don't want to do that though).

But yes, you need to scale everything else as you mentioned, at the insertion point of the drawing (usually 0,0,0).

good day sir...

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Converting file from IMPERIAL to METRIC

Alright! It looks like we have something to start with based on your suggestions. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll let you guys know how it went after the results.

PS- Rico, love the cowbell! Hope you’re out of the hospital soon. LOL

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you mean that the DWG was actually drawn in Inches (for example) and you want it in Millimetres, then you could follow this procedure:
    1. Ensure that the orriginal DWG's units are set to Inches (change as required) - UNITS command. Then save.
    2. Create a blank dwg from ACADISO.DWT
    3. Insert the orriginal DWG into here & explode
    4. Reload all linetypes to ensure you're using the ISO lynetype dash lengths otherwise you're going to end up with LTSCALE issues you can't fix.
    5. If you've got hatches - these may have to be HatchEdited with a new scale factor.
    If you mean that the orriginal DWG was inadvertently started from the ACAD.DWT template but was drawn as if drawing in mm. Then you simply have to change the following:
    • MEASUREMENT = 1
    • INSUNITS = 4
    • Reload all linetype
    • Hatchedit all hatches

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I use the attached routines to automate my scale factors.
    Simple routines save me from entering all the digits .03937....etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Converting file from IMPERIAL to METRIC

Hey Robert, good .lsp routines that would of come in handy. We have successfully moved the file to metric with the suggestions and help of the forum. It was another success story for AUGI members. But for future references, this will be available to all that join the team. Thank you again for the suggestions and the routines that have been posted. Look forward to the next stumbling block to share with you all. Have a great weekend and don't forget to cheer on #24 at the Brickyard 400 next weekend.