Thread: Contract Work?

Login to Give a bone

Default Contract Work?

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a rate for contract drafting on projects that are a medium level of intensity. I've been asked if I'd be interested in doing a job "on the side" and I was wondering what you guys thought. I know this kind of thing is fairly common, but I personally have never been associated with it. Thanks...and any help would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Contract Work?

I haven't moonlighted like this either. I hope it works out for you. It might help you if you knew what your employer charges for your services.

Login to Give a bone

The way I was told to figure it out:
    Find the amount you get in benefits (like vacation, medical). Averaging that out to a per hour basis. Add that to what you get paid by the hour. That would give you your base price.

Hope that makes sense.

I could stop if I wanted to Beth Powell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Three years ago I ceased being a CAD Manager with my former company and began doing the same CAD work as a contract employee. I check around (classified ads and calling) to see what drafting services were charging. This varies by parts of the country.

I decided that with the expense of my computer and using my phone and part of my home to do this that I would charge double what I was getting paid by them. This was a deal for them because since they didn't have enough CAD work for 40 hours a week and didn't have to pay my benefits any longer they had a savings. They also had a savings because I priced myself at the lower end of the normal for my area.

While it wasn't enough to live on, I have since landed a great full time job, I am still doing it weekends and evenings. It's still enjoyable, I know their types of drawings and the clients very well (was with them for 10 years), and they don't have to send the work out to someone that will take twice as long to do it because they don't understand it.

It's great for the customers because they have seen absolutely no difference. I've since bought from them the plotter that I once bought as CAD Manager. The drawings still have the same "style" and look identical plotted and shipped as they received in the past.

Best of luck to you!