Thread: Training Options

Login to Give a bone

Default Training Options

This question may have been posted before, but replies could be interesting non the less.

We are a small architectural department (3 people toal) within an interior design firm. We recently upgraded from AutoCAD 2006 to AutoCAD Architecture 2009. We upgraded for two reasons, one is that it was time, and two because we need to further our design presentation capabilities. We have established our standards for 2D drawings and can successfully execute a tight set of drawings that convey the necessary information and look like a good put together set of drawings as well.

We have worked with Impressions and have generally good overall knowledge of the program. We are able to produce decent presentation sketches with the program.

Its time to move onto perspectives. We've had the luxury to be able to hire out for renderings of any type that we might require for our specialized projects. We want to get to the point where we can provide this service, with the option of hiring out depending on our work load. We tend to lean towards one point perspectives of interior room views. We tend to show texture, furniture, lighting. Tend to appreciate a "watercolor" type look. Eventually we intend to shift to all computerized renderings that will include walk throughs.

So, we now have Architecture 2009 and the two people under me have made great strides in learning the program. We are looking for the little extra bit of training that will answer a few general AutoCAD questions and will quickly move us into perspectives using Architecture. Our workload fluctuates constantly given the size of our department but we are looking towards having September available to provide some high quality presentation perspectives for one particular project.

We have contacted our re-seller and received a proposal for a two day individual training course, but the cost is high given the size of our department. AUGI offers a seminar in our area but not until October.

I've searched under AutoCAD Training, but most don't seem to have the personal contact I think is helpful.

Do I have other options I haven't thought persued? How do I search for individual tutors? Are the video traing programs more benficial than I realize? Just looking for ideas, maybe what has worked for others....Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Training Options

First, are you actually producing 2d geometry or 3d models?
    Second, if 2d, do you intend to produce "perspectives" as 2d drawings?
    Third, if 3d, have you looked in the APT archives? There are several 3d/solid modeling courses there.

Login to Give a bone

In my opinion and experience,I believe the training with an actual instructor present would be the most benefit,but it also depends on the instructor. I have had bad experiences with instructors who go to fast and do not really want to stop and answer questions as they arise, I would speak with the re-seller before hand and let them know that I would like the instructor to be willing to stop and answer questions and be patient. If you can get a decent instructor and have laptops present during the class, that would be the most beneficial for training purposes.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Have you looked at any of the local colleges?
    Sometimes the professors might do a private class for a small group if you can't actually take a full course with them.

Also as mentioned, there are quite a few ATP (Augi Training Program) online classes that are going. Maybe in the mean time this could help you all as well?

You could buy the AOTC (Autodesk Official Training Courseware) books that come w/ cd exercises.

I do agree, nothing is better than having someone who knows what they are doing teaching and interacting with you.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the thoughts and assistance on this. We are still looking for training, not having made a decision as of yet. However, one person in our firm is learning quite a lot on his own.

I agree, a person coming into our office for actual hands on training would be the most beneficial albeit it also the most costly. I've been able, thanks to all of you, to find some tutorials that have helped.

At one time, we had a college professor who was willing to moonlight and come into our office during non-office time for personalized training. I might have to look him up once again!

Login to Give a bone

Hi Rick,

I would definitely check into the local colleges. I am the ATC manager at an educational institution. We are able to offer our classes at a very competitive price because our enrollment is supported by state aid, something that a reseller obviously would not have access to.

If you haven't already done so, check the ATC locator to see if there are any educational resellers in your area.

Another tip for contacting your local college. Most have a business and industry training department. They might be able to help you out.

Of course, if you are in driving distance from Kansas, I could help

Good luck!
    -Tracy

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chadwickt View Post
    Hi Rick,

I would definitely check into the local colleges. I am the ATC manager at an educational institution. We are able to offer our classes at a very competitive price because our enrollment is supported by state aid, something that a reseller obviously would not have access to.

If you haven't already done so, check the ATC locator to see if there are any educational resellers in your area.

Another tip for contacting your local college. Most have a business and industry training department. They might be able to help you out.

Of course, if you are in driving distance from Kansas, I could help

Good luck!
    -Tracy
    Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the reply. I have yet to set up any training, unfortunatley. The workload suddenly increased. There is one draftsman here who is currently working on 3D perspective presentation drawings which we need for an upcoming presentation. We'll see how that goes and get him some additonal training based on what he feels his needs are after this exercise.

I'm finding tutorials helpful and might work with those for the time being. In a month or so I feel as if we could then plan training that would cover only what we feel needed.

I'll definitely check out the local colleges.

Thanks again
    Rick