Thread: Section Reference in View Tags

Login to Give a bone

Default Section Reference in View Tags

I am having problems with my section (and elevation tags) referencing the correct drawing sheet. The way I thought these tags were suppose to work is that the floor plan you place a section on should reflect the drawing sheet on which that floor plan is placed (or the drawing sheet on which the section is drawn).

Our project is being conducted in Phases and to fit the floor plans on a drawing sheet we are using dependent views. When I draw a section on a floor plan, the section references the correct drawing sheet on which the floor plan is placed. However, when I place the section view on a drawing sheet, the reference changes to reflect the first drawing sheet in the set on which a floor plan is placed.

Any ideas why this is happening? Is there some type of bug or defect?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Section Reference in View Tags

We have an open SR with this exact issue - all Revit flavors (2008 and 2009).

Here is a quote from AutoDesk's last response on June 9th:

"I actually just spoke with Development on this issue after I sent you the last e-mail. Unfortunately they have acknowledged this as a known issue, with no current workaround. Fortunately it has been reported and will hopefully be on the list for correction in a future release. I wish I could provide a more complete solution for you currently, especially with this affecting multiple users. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification."

Login to Give a bone

This is most unfortunate! It also invalidates Revit's selling point as being good at coordinating drawing sets. I know we will not be able to get our drawings approved without proper referencing (state agencies have strigent regulations) - any ideas for a work around?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Not an ideal workaround however, if you drag/adjust the cropped view line of the detail, the reference sheet should update correctly.

I'll look into seeing if we can develop a 3rd party tool to automatically fix sheet references.
    Watch this space.

Anthony

Login to Give a bone

You may consider not using dependent views at all in order to sidestep this problem. I think the design of dependent views is fundamentally deficient. They do not fit well into overall Revit philosophy and software architecture. No wonder they cause difficult to fix problems.

Wouldn't using callouts satisfy your needs?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyf View Post
    Not an ideal workaround however, if you drag/adjust the cropped view line of the detail, the reference sheet should update correctly.

I'll look into seeing if we can develop a 3rd party tool to automatically fix sheet references.
    Watch this space.

Anthony
    Not exactly sure how this would work. We are using scope boxes so that all plans, sections and elevations are cropped the same. This would defeat the purpose of this.