See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start with Xref

Login to Give a bone

Default Start with Xref

Hi guys . If there is a more detailed way to explain how its works and how to start...I do
    have enogh of experience with AutoCad ,but ... shame.... ))- never used them before. Thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Start with Xref

hmmmm .. an Xref is basically just another drawing you attach to your layout drawings.

Unless you have a more specific question you would probably be better looking for some online tutorials and going thru the AutoCAD help function too.

Do you have a more specific question?

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Start with Xref

All my life I treed to avoid xref - for me it looks like something very, ....very problematic staff ...... with creates loots problem.
    Thank you for advice ,but nothing for starters like me in AutoCAD help function..

Login to Give a bone

Xrefs are just like pinbar drafting.

only better

Login to Give a bone

XREFs come in handy when several disciplines need to refer to the same up-to-date data. The best example of this is when the Electrical department and Mechanical department need to use the latest Architectural floor plan. Both departments can xref in the floor plan, and if there are changes made, both disciplines will always have the latest and greatest version [once they either reload or re-open their drawings]

The only "scary" thing about xrefs are "Attachments" vs. "Overlays". An Attachment is when Drawing "A" attaches Drawing "B", but Drawing "B" cannot attach drawing "A". using Overlays are better because Drawings "A" & "B" can overlay each other. This comes in handy when the Electrical and Mechanical people need to Overlay each others drawings in order to prevent design conflicts.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if everyone's drawings are going to be XREFed into each other (ie. Overlay), it is important that everyone use the same basepoint (ie. 0,0,0). Using a common basepoint prevents having to guess where the xref is to be placed in relation to the geometry of their drawing, and thus causing design conflicts.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the geometry in every drawing should be done "Bylayer". When you Overlay an XREF, you have the capability of changing the colors and linetypes of the xref layers in case you want to subdue the pen weights so that your design geometry is more prominent. HINT: In your drawing, make sure the sysvar VISRETAIN to set to a value of 1 because if it is set to 0, all the custom layer changes you make to the xref Overlay will be lost.

Hope this helps. I have more hints and tips if you are interested.

Login to Give a bone

Certainly!... ,but everything step by step

Login to Give a bone

Certainly!... ,but everything step by step

Login to Give a bone

An xref is just a block but stored outside of the host drawing file and therefor self-updating.

Login to Give a bone

One more thing about "overlay" and "attached". If drawing A is overlayed into drawing B, then you Xref drawing B into drawing C, drawing A will not come in with it.

If you use attach, then drawing A will be attached to drawing B. When you Xref it into drawing C, both A and B get Xref'd.

I hope that didn't confuse you even more!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    One more thing about "overlay" and "attached". If drawing A is overlayed into drawing B, then you Xref drawing B into drawing C, drawing A will not come in with it.

If you use attach, then drawing A will be attached to drawing B. When you Xref it into drawing C, both A and B get Xref'd.

I hope that didn't confuse you even more!
    No..! just become more ...interesting ))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast