Thread: Section Callouts in vanilla AutoCAD

Login to Give a bone

Default Section Callouts in vanilla AutoCAD

I work in an office with six CAD users. Everyone else is using Vanilla AutoCAD 2008 or 2009, but I am using Architecture 2009. (Long story as to why, but I am the only one who currently needs the AEC elements) What we ALL need is a way to use section callouts that are annotative. We have not found such a tool in vanilla AutoCAD. Are we missing it? It would be nice to have detail callouts as well. Am I correct in thinking that Autodesk excludes those tools from vanilla AutoCAD the same way they do the detail component manager?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Section Callouts in vanilla AutoCAD

Using Sheet Set Manager and assigned views, you may be able to make something work. Of course, you will need to use a block that is linked to the views in some way.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmckenzie View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that Autodesk excludes those tools from vanilla AutoCAD the same way they do the detail component manager?

no that is incorrect. annotative scaling is available in vanilla autocad. when you define the block there is a place in the block definition dialog box (upper right corner) to define it as annotative or not.

if you already have blocks created, you can open them in the block editor, and go to properties to change them to annotative.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input.

I knew I could make a block annotative, but I wanted to be able to create a section block callout that was not only annotative, but would allow me to edit the text, rotate the cut-line and arrowhead, mirror the cut-line and arrowhead, and stretch the length of the cutline, all without having the explode the block. I figured out how to do this using attributes for the text and assigning parameters and actions in the block editor. We are now creating all kinds of useful blocks in this manner.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bmckenzie View Post
    Thanks for the input.

I knew I could make a block annotative, but I wanted to be able to create a section block callout that was not only annotative, but would allow me to edit the text, rotate the cut-line and arrowhead, mirror the cut-line and arrowhead, and stretch the length of the cutline, all without having the explode the block. I figured out how to do this using attributes for the text and assigning parameters and actions in the block editor. We are now creating all kinds of useful blocks in this manner.
    ok. glad you figured it out. what you were referring to is whats called a dynamic block. not an annotative block. they are two separate things...

i think thats why people got confused about what you were asking.

Login to Give a bone

Look on the vanilla ACAD tool palette named Annotation. It has DBs named Tag, Callout Bubble, Section Callout & Elevation which sound like what you want. They are already annotative and the palatte can be exported if you don't have the same ones, but I would suspect that you do.

Login to Give a bone

That is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tim.turner View Post
    Look on the vanilla ACAD tool palette named Annotation. It has DBs named Tag, Callout Bubble, Section Callout & Elevation which sound like what you want. They are already annotative and the palatte can be exported if you don't have the same ones, but I would suspect that you do.