Thread: Still doing the hokey pokey after all these years.

Login to Give a bone

Default Still doing the hokey pokey after all these years.

One of the things that makes me trear out what few strands of hair I have left is the amorphous nature of Revit. It's probably my own doing, but I still spend almost as much time whacking the weasel (the carnival game where the weasel pops out of a hole and you try to whack it on the head only to have it pop back out of another hole).

It seems that during the construction documents phase, elements constantly seem to be shifting and slipping out of place and I often spend hours unconstraining, realigning, moving and reconstraining things just to get them back into the right place. This is not only frustrating but introduces embarrassing little unnecessary errors and it wastes a colossal amount of time.

I'm sure I'm somewhere at fault here, but there must be a protocol which helps keeping things in place. I read somewhere that pinning too many things will slow the system down and I found that it often makes no difference whether elements are constrained or not in terms of them shifting around.

Thanks

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Still doing the hokey pokey after all these years.

But that's what it's all about.

Here's what seems to work for me:

I start with reference planes that describe the foundation wall footprint, dimension them all & lock the dimensions. Then adding the fnd walls & aligning to the ref planes keeps them there. Aligning stud walls above to the fnd now keeps all that in place.

For things like sections, I hide the ones that I've worked on & assigned to sheet(s) so that they don't get nudged to a different location. I keep redundant unreferenced sections for poking around.

I haven't been that happy with pinning and have tried grouping all of the fnd walls, for example, but that turns tedious when trying to edit.

If you're still playing Whack-A-Mole, charge yourself for each round that you play so at least you can make some money.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Still doing the hokey pokey after all these years.

Pinning doesn't slow down the model -- but locking alignments can. Between pinning and disabling certain wall joins, you should be able to get free of such frustrations.