Thread: anybody can tell me how to import the google earth's terrain file to revit?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy anybody can tell me how to import the google earth's terrain file to revit?

i want to make a site exactly like the really terrain. some guys told me that i can import the really terrain into revit from google earth. anybody can tell me how to do it? the more detail the better. thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: anybody can tell me how to import the google earth's terrain file to revit?

Sketchup can do this. Revit has a plugin - that lets you get the google earth image not the topo, then once your model is build, you publish it to google and will see your building in google. The plugin is available in the subscription center. Note Avatech also has a plugin for revit. Neither give you a 3d topo from google in revit.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: anybody can tell me how to import the google earth's terrain file to revit?

if sketchup can do it, you could potentially do it in sketchup and then import it into a revit family. It wouldn't be editable or be a terrain then, but may work for visual purposes...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

the google earth terrain is very low resolution, compared to most building sites. You probably won't get more than 4 control points inside your site boundary. Unless you're building an airport or something.

In which case you'd better be using better GIS than google earth!

Login to Give a bone

There is a plug in for autocad where you can get the topography. Here is the link. Most people have Autocad so I'm presuming you do.
    http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/g...xtension_beta/
    Load this, get the topo in Autocad and then link it into Revit. When you create your topo, click "Use Imported" and click your dwg, and it should create the topo. I dont know how detailed it is because I haven't used it much.
    Hope this helps =)

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

AutoCAD dwg translation is the only way I know. Export ACAD file from SketchUP PRO (not the free Google version), import file into Revit. If you are using the Google version and do not have AutoCAD sitting around, other softwares such as Rhino can also do the translation for you.