Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WISHLIST!!

Exclamation WISHLIST!!

Here is the wishlist!

I have attached a spreadsheet with the top hundred or so wishes based on date posted, number of replies and number of views. It is not scientific, but these appear to be the most active wishes up until about a week and a half ago (in no particular order). Please download the spreadsheet and rank each wish with a number 1 through 5 -- 1 being the lowest priority and 5 being the highest. When you have completed this, please repost the spreadsheet here. I will collect all of the wishlists on the 1st of October and tally the votes. I will then present the top 10 wishes in a poll.

Additionally, if you want to add a wish that doesn't appear here, please add it at the bottom of this list. I will collect all of the additional wishes and present a separate poll for those.

Thank you, and let me know if you have any questions.

Greg Cashen
    "Wishlist Manager"

P.S. I have maintained the links in the excel spreadsheet, so if you can't remember what a particular wish was about, you can click on it within the cell and it will pop open a browser and take you to the thread.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gregcashen; 2004-09-17 at 06:42 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to robmorfin's Avatar

Default Re: WISHLIST!!

Greg,

With all due respect to your selection methods, I don't think this is the best way to select wishes, first of all:

"based on date posted, number of replies and number of views"

I don't think date has anything to do with been selected, number of replies, come on, I think that some of the best wishes don't have a single reply, everything is said in the original post and noone has opposed, and number of views is not a good idea either, people read it by the subject but sometimes misses the content inside, let's say you name your subject "Sex included in Revit" (exagerating), you would break the record of hits in all the forums and it would be on first place on your top 100 wishes.

The rule for this whole think about the top 100 wishes list RobertB (the AUGI director) posted it in this forum,

"This is a reminder to everyone that less than 3 weeks are left for rating the threads.
    This is important to help AUGI identify which wishes are the best ones to consider as candidates for the list presented to Autodesk at Autodesk University. Please do your part and rate the threads you find here. Remember to change your view settings to see all the posted threads, and not just the most current threads."

you also wrote "It is not scientific", and you are right, you only have to look at the ratings up to date as RobertB proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by robmorfin
    Greg,

With all due respect to your selection methods, I don't think this is the best way to select wishes, first of all:

"based on date posted, number of replies and number of views"

I don't think date has anything to do with been selected, number of replies, come on, I think that some of the best wishes don't have a single reply, everything is said in the original post and noone has opposed, and number of views is not a good idea either, people read it by the subject but sometimes misses the content inside, let's say you name your subject "Sex included in Revit" (exagerating), you would break the record of hits in all the forums and it would be on first place on your top 100 wishes.

The rule for this whole think about the top 100 wishes list RobertB (the AUGI director) posted it in this forum,

"This is a reminder to everyone that less than 3 weeks are left for rating the threads.
    This is important to help AUGI identify which wishes are the best ones to consider as candidates for the list presented to Autodesk at Autodesk University. Please do your part and rate the threads you find here. Remember to change your view settings to see all the posted threads, and not just the most current threads."

you also wrote "It is not scientific", and you are right, you only have to look at the ratings up to date as RobertB proposed.
    Rob, while I respect your opinion, I politely disagree. I see the thread rankings as being more of an ongoing system of ranking the quality of the discussion taking place. I don't necessarily think that there is a direct correlation between thread rankings and wish rankings. My spreadsheet was based on selecting the last 150 wishes by date. I then inserted them into a spreadhseet where I removed some duplicates and granted wishes. Then I sorted them by the total number of views they have received and deducted for the amount of time they have been posted because obviously a wish that was posted a year ago has a better chance of having 100 replies than a wish that was posted a week ago. As I said, it is not scientific...that is why you have the option of adding your own wishes.

I personally don't see someone going through all of the threads and ranking them one by one in a web based format. It will be tedious, time-consuming and likely ineffective as a means to rank wishes. Besides, there may already be people who ranked a thread, not based on the desireability of the wish but on the quality of the discussion.

I settled on this after looking at a number of ways of ranking wishes. It is not perfect, but it allows someone to see a lot of wishes in a single view and change their mind before posting. Ranking based on RobertB's method I think will lead to people changing their criteria for ranking from thread to thread, which is less than ideal. It also does not allow someone to change their mind.

Greg

Autodesk Revit Developer

However you rank them, I really appreciate having them in a single file. Now, if the file somehow contained extended descriptions of the wishes rather than just the URLs...

Hi Greg,

Heres my voted and sorted list.
    Last edited by beegee; 2004-09-19 at 01:33 AM.

Greg,

Whatever you wish to do for Revit's wishlist will be honored. Either process has its limitations, so hopefully we can address this in the next year. Thank you for taking the effort to compile the top ten for Revit and offering to post the poll. Please PM me if you need anything.

Just to clarify the situation with the Revit Wishlist and Greg's wishlist spreadsheet.

Greg has actually had this on his " to do" since before ZDBB moved to AUGI, but for one reason or another it was delayed till now. It was identified as something we should do to assist Autodesk Revit to review our wishlist with a minimum of effort, as well as a means of sorting and rating our wishlist threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcashen
    I am working on a way to aggregate the wishlist items into a single post with hyperlinks, descriptions, etc. This will be a fairly manual process, though I will automate it with Excel and VBA. I am also looking at a way to run polls that would basically widdle down the top requests by category, using the existing poll features here. Basically, it would sort of be like NBA Playoffs...Quarter Finals, Semi-finals, Championship. The most important requests would float to the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcashen
    Long term, it will hopefully be more robust, but it means integrating new phpbb mods that as yet are not slated for inclusion here.

Its not meant to detract from or to interfere with rating AUGI's other forum wishlists as per RobertB's earlier posts. ( I’m sure I’m just stating the obvious here, but I didn’t want there to be any confusion that the Revit Wishlist was on a different tack. )
    Last edited by beegee; 2004-09-19 at 12:20 AM.

my rankings...

my rankings
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

All AUGI, all the time mlgatzke's Avatar

Here's mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast