Thread: Carlson vs. C3D

Login to Give a bone

Default Carlson vs. C3D

Hi,
    My company is just in the process to upgrade to C3D 2008 (form LDD 2006).
    We had a presentation of Carlson software and some key people are questioning if Carlson is the way to go instead of the C3D (we are a Civil Engineering office)?
    Carlson seems very simple and streamlined compare to C3D which seems more complex.
    I know they work in different environments and I was wondering if someone has the experience to tell me some of the important differences and some of the benefits of working with both?

Thanks,
    OK

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Carlson vs. C3D

If a significant part of your workflow is producing plan and profile sheets - then take a closer look at Carlson - maybe even get them to produce some sheets for you as an example. P&P creation and annotation is Carlson's weak point. For C3D's weak points, just browse the C3D newsgroup over at Autodesk --- http://discussion.autodesk.com/forum.jspa?forumID=66 -- and read this entire thread -- http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...hreadID=674864
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Carlson vs. C3D

Thank you for the links but they go forever (specially the 2nd one) and I hardly have a clue what they even talking about...
    I understand there are a lot of users who are frustrated with C3D and from my little experience working with this product I can relate to it.

Do you have personal experience with Carlson and with C3D? can you share some of the cons and pros that you find working with both?

We are site planners/civil engineers and design layout, grading, utilities, landscape, etc.
    We mostly use LDD for cut and fill calcs, road alignment + profiles and u/g utilities/structures.

Any information will be helpful.