Thread: How many vis states can I have?

Login to Give a bone

Default How many vis states can I have?

I am making a block that already has 55 visibility states and 31 lookups, to finish my project I will need to have 103 vis states and 55 lookups total. Is it possible to have to many vis states and lookups where AutoCAD crashes? That is what I do not want is to lose everything I have done.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How many vis states can I have?

Wow! 103 visibility states and 55 lookup tables. Post your block when you are done so I can marvel at your fortitude.

Okay, that wasn't meant to sound cheeky, but do your users really want to look through 103 vis states? Can it be broken up into 3 or 4 blocks so there aren't so many choices? Just thinking from a draftsman perspective and wondering if there is another solution. Are your lookups linked to the vis state so the user is only choosing a vis state or they choosing a vis state and a lookup? The complexity of the block is a little staggering and if modifying it in the future it might be difficult to remember what linked what.

I looked at the forums and found two that might help.
    http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...sageID=5504058
    http://discussion.autodesk.com/threa...sageID=4954180

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by compvrvisonik View Post
    I am making a block that already has 55 visibility states and 31 lookups, to finish my project I will need to have 103 vis states and 55 lookups total. Is it possible to have to many vis states and lookups where AutoCAD crashes? That is what I do not want is to lose everything I have done.

Login to Give a bone

Well I just got the block done. It works perfectly. There are 105 vis states and 55 lookups. The beauty of the thing is that at max you will only see 8 of the lookups when making your choices. The drawing is a schematic for work so I can't share it. It works by only displaying certain lookups depending on previous choices that have been made. For the last choice I had to make 24 lookups to accomidate the previous choices. It took a long time but it is a very useful tool now. I will see if I can change some stuff in it so I can post it.

Login to Give a bone

I am up to 136 Vis states and 84 Lookups. Now my block is sooooo slow when changing from state to state, it is really annoying. Is there anyway to make it faster (without doing anything to the computer)?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

With that many options within a single DB it doesn't surprise me that it's slow. Can you break it apart into separate DB's?

Matt W

Login to Give a bone

I could but I have spent over 70 hours on this one block, and I am making it so that it is easy for the people that know nothing about CAD and are going to be using it. I am up to 181 vis states.

Login to Give a bone

Why do you need so many visibility states?

Could you use different blocks that contain fewer visibility states? It would probably reduce a lot of the unnecessary load times from state changes. You could also educate the users that need to use the different blocks, thus decreasing their time in CAD as well.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by compvrvisonik View Post
    I could but I have spent over 70 hours on this one block, and I am making it so that it is easy for the people that know nothing about CAD and are going to be using it. I am up to 181 vis states.
    good lord. 181 vis states?

wow.

fortunately for you there's no limit (that I've found yet) on the number of vis states. But I've only ever gotten to about 75.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell