See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Vista, Let's Dig `Er Up Again...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Vista, Let's Dig `Er Up Again...

Been a while since this conversation has taken place...so...

I have to admit I am somewhat impressed with the Mojave experiment, and how it is changing peoples' minds. Also considering that I may have the budget to build a new box for myself in the upcoming quarter, I am considering Vista. My main reason is the ability to run a 64 bit environment. My primary need for this is the appeal the RAM ceiling increase. Four dual-channel gigs are nice, but I'd like to run eight if possible (don't ask why, it'll make your head hurt ).

Any thoughts/rants folks? Is 64 bit Vista where the future lies, or is 32 bit still not ready to let go?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Vista, Let's Dig `Er Up Again...

You know, Vista isn't as bad as most people claim. Sure, you have to make it work like you want to, but we use CAD, we're used to programs not doing what we want them to right away.
    64 bit is very promising now, Vista 64 had one thing XP 64 never had: driver support. Sure, it's not every single driver for every device, but it's a good chunk of them. I say go for it, but if you do, let us know how it goes. I'm also thinking of making a new box and throwing in Vista 64 (Home Premium, I don't think I'd need more than 8 gigs at home).

All AUGI, all the time CADDmanVA's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Pei Jr View Post
    You know, Vista isn't as bad as most people claim. Sure, you have to make it work like you want to, but we use CAD, we're used to programs not doing what we want them to right away.
    64 bit is very promising now, Vista 64 had one thing XP 64 never had: driver support. Sure, it's not every single driver for every device, but it's a good chunk of them. I say go for it, but if you do, let us know how it goes. I'm also thinking of making a new box and throwing in Vista 64 (Home Premium, I don't think I'd need more than 8 gigs at home).
    We use CADD, therefore we are used to things not working the way we want. You said a mouthful there!

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope the budget holds out for now. I'll be sure to let you know what happens if I get to build it.

Login to Give a bone

I'm using Vista 64 and it's great. It has a few bugs, but most of them went away with SP1. Of course, IT only has 4 gig of memory in my machine. I'm trying to double it, but it probably won't happen.

Login to Give a bone

I spent 5 hours last night trying to get a new laptop with Vista Business to connect to an SBS network and then get all the printer drivers squared away, etc...etc... If it was XP it would have been done in about 15 minutes.

Sigh....

But dang....that laptop is quick! 4gb Ram, 512mb vid card...very sweet!

I installed Vista Ultimate recently on my home computer....no problems what so ever...ArchiCAD works very good on it
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

At present i am using vista version. It is giving great security but it is not supporting to the internet. Please send me a reply if you know why it is not supporting with internet.