Thread: Help - STC Nightmare

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Help - STC Nightmare

O.K., so I am at the point where I think I understand worksets quite well... In my arch firm, we never have problems with worksharing. I am currently "leased out" to an MEP firm to help them troubleshoot and impliment Revit standards, and a couple users in this firm continue to have STC conflict on a daily basis. They are the only ones, by the way, that experience this problem. I don't have a print screen of the error message, and I can't figure out how to duplicate the same error on my machine, but I'll try to describe it.

User A opens his local file at 7:00 a.m and works for 3 hours without RL and without STC.

User B opens his local file at 9:00 am and works for 1 hour without RL and without STC.

At 10:00 a.m., user A attempts to STC, but gets error message, "cannot STC until User B STC and Relinquishes."

So... User B attempts to STC, but gets the exact same (but opposite) error message, "cannot STC until User A STC and Relinquishes.

How does this happen and is there anyway around it without one user sacrificing the work done since his last STC? Apparently, changes have been made by both users to the same element..? but that should be impossible with "borrowing." These guys often lose half a day's work... almost every day. What can i do to fix it and keep it from happening again.

Thanks

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help - STC Nightmare

LOL... sorry don't mean to laugh I went through this for months. Have you installed WU#3? That should fix it.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help - STC Nightmare

I don't mind the chuckle... humor makes Revit a lot more doable.
    I just began helping this firm and found that no one has actively managed the subscription since the last IT guy left. I am in the process of geting everyone's builds updated, but so far have only managed to update my own workstation.

If you are right about this, and man I hope you are, then that is a load off of my back.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Help - STC Nightmare

I am 99.9% sure that will fix it. We used to have that problem 2 to 3 times a day for roughly 3 months. It would happen with up to 5 users at a time. It would take me 1 to 2 hours a day minimum just to "untangle" everyone so no work was lost. We had been working with Autodesk when they were developing the fix. Let me guess it is mainly lights and electrical devices, maybe some mechanical air terminals? Long story short it has to do with revit unlinking and relinking links in milliseconds during save and communications to central and those devices losing and regaining their host. Causing them to be "borrowed" by multiple people at the same time. Something like that, but anyway once we did WU#3 it has not happened since.

So you can at least be happy that will be one less problem to deal with.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Help - STC Nightmare

You're right on! Lighting fixtures, electrical devices, and a sometimes air terminals.
    Whew! Glad to know there's more than a pile of poop at the end of the rainbow.