See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How would you build it?

Login to Give a bone

Default How would you build it?

I have a typical strip mall building. It consists of a cmu base, brick then eifs as you work your way up. It has curtain walls and windows. I am new to Revit and have to teach myself so I really don't know what I'm doing. I currently have 14 different stacked walls in this building. Now I've had to lower each one and put a seperate wall on top of the stacked wall for a thinner parapet wall condition which is leaving me horizontal lines - but only in some places. I have embedded walls in some places as well, and hosted sweeps around virtually everything, not to mention pilasters that only bump out 8". Revit is supposed to stand for Revise Instantly, yet I'm unable to make changes without taking several days to fix everything which makes me think that this is not the best way to handle this building. It's typical construction in the US right now - I'm really having a hard time believing that it's just too much for this program, I've attached a corner perspective of my building as a reference.

Here's the question...how would you build it? Stacked walls? Hundreds of reference planes/levels? At this point I'm ready to scrap the whole thing (again) and start over but I'm just at my wit's end as to how to proceed from here. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How would you build it?

I do retail that is very similar, and i do use a ton of stacked walls for it as well. When i have to make changes like that though, im careful to take notice as to the Order of Operations (just like 7th grade math!!!).

For instance, if i have a bunch of walls that i need to change the thickness of, i create a new stacked wall type and edit the thickness, THEN select all the walls and verify they are holding whatever face i am happy with the location of, then i swap them.

Same with heights, although with heights im more apt to just make a change tot he definition, instead of duplicating, switching, then removing. Ive found once i have my workflow down, i can make changes very quickly, its just a matter of editing and updating the definitions of the walls, basic and stacked.

But, there ARE a hundred ways to skin a cat, and im not saying its the best way... But its the way i prefer...

Login to Give a bone

I am also new to revit but am trying to learn, as where I work Revit is alien to everyone.

Regarding those lines you are trying to get rid of, did you try the "Join Geometry" button?

Also looking at your pdf, which areas did you use "stacked walls", just those brick pilasters areas?

Out of curiousity, did you "mass" your project out first, or did you dive into constructing your walls first.

Login to Give a bone

No matter which way, one needs to think how the project behaves with changes......personally (and it is a personal preference) I don't like stacked walls...at least not unless the wall type truly changes width....

I used to do retail, similar to that construction, and I would make wall types contain all that information...so various materials along the elevation/section, sweeps, reveals, maybe parapet would all be contained in a single wall type. I control the base and top of parapet and that's it.

as Aaron mentioned, there might be different ways of handling it...and as long as you know how changes affect the project, all is ok...

I would do it as described above...less headaches with walls joining (both horizontally and vertically)
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson.188587 View Post
    I have a typical strip mall building. It consists of a cmu base, brick then eifs as you work your way up. It has curtain walls and windows. I am new to Revit and have to teach myself so I really don't know what I'm doing. I currently have 14 different stacked walls in this building. Now I've had to lower each one and put a seperate wall on top of the stacked wall for a thinner parapet wall condition which is leaving me horizontal lines - but only in some places. I have embedded walls in some places as well, and hosted sweeps around virtually everything, not to mention pilasters that only bump out 8". Revit is supposed to stand for Revise Instantly, yet I'm unable to make changes without taking several days to fix everything which makes me think that this is not the best way to handle this building. It's typical construction in the US right now - I'm really having a hard time believing that it's just too much for this program, I've attached a corner perspective of my building as a reference.

Here's the question...how would you build it? Stacked walls? Hundreds of reference planes/levels? At this point I'm ready to scrap the whole thing (again) and start over but I'm just at my wit's end as to how to proceed from here. Thank you in advance.