Thread: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

Wish List Administration

Default Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

Summary: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views.

Description: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views.

How Used: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views.

Feature Affinity: Views - Legends

Submitted By: Bret Thompson on May 21, 2008

AUGI Addict

Thumbs up Re: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

Amen!! This one is long overdue. If you have a sheet of door details (drafting views only) and a couple of legends, you cannot import the sheet from another project, due to the legends. In numerous cases, I want to import those legend views as well.

Português - Revit Moderator fernando's Avatar

Default Re: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

Exporting the legend as dwg, and importing in the new project???

I could stop if I wanted to brethomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernando View Post
    Exporting the legend as dwg, and importing in the new project???
    Keep in mind that we are using Revit instead of AutoCAD for a reason. The BIM coordination. Round tripping through DWG would convert all of the tags and legend components to plain old lines, defeating the purpose of use Revit.

Ok about the tag's, but legend objects are not project referenced, you could have a legend of something not present in your project, and the change of parameter´s in any object had no reflex in legend ones. That's why i figure that solution.

Also if you want to use legend's and details(drafting views) trough multiple project's you are not using any BIM information.

I could stop if I wanted to brethomp's Avatar

fernando,
    I'm confused by the need to defend this wish, there are a couple of nice features of legend views that a drafting view and a DWG can not do.

I'm not sure what you use legends for, but we use them all the time with Legend Components for things like door and window elevations, RCP symbols, Fixture elevations and symbols, graphic symbols legend, furniture legend, and more. In most cases that we use a legend, we wish to show the graphics of the actual family (matching what is in the drawings) and we need to place the legend multiple times on multiple sheets. Both of these can be repetitive from project to project and can't be done with Drafting views. Not to mention multiple related projects, like a campus of similar office buildings, or a housing project, where these legends would be identical, from project to project.

legend objects are not project referenced, you could have a legend of something not present in your project
    Would you want them to be referenced? If I put an elevation of a door on a legend view I don't want that door instance to schedule. True I can place a legend component in a legend that is not placed in the building model, but that doesn't make legend component useless.

and the change of parameter´s in any object had no reflex in legend ones. That's why i figure that solution.
    This depends on if you use Instance or Type parameters. Type parameters will update the legend view as well, but instance parameters will not.

Also if you want to use legend's and details(drafting views) trough multiple project's you are not using any BIM information.
    Depending on how you define BIM, if you are limiting yourself to the idea of embedded data, then you are correct. But, another aspect of this process is the built in coordination of a building model. As mentioned above, we typically like the drawings the shown in the legend to exactly match the drawings in the project. Using Legend Components in a legend view will accomplish this, usually without manual coordination.
    Also if I load a legend from another project, It is not always because I want that exact list of stuff, many time I would use the old legend as a template, and make further adjustments to it for the content of the new project. Starting with a template will save a lot of time.

Eventually there are some nice features of Legend views that Drafting views just don't have (for good reason). But one feature that the Drafting view has is the ability to easily load it from one project to another. It would be great to have that ability added to legend views as well.

Also Scott makes a good point as well. Use the example of a project cover sheet, which usually contains a lot of information, standards, legends, and tables that are common on every project. If one of these views on this cover sheet is a legend, you can not load this sheet to another project.

Red face Re: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

Ok, Ok,
    "I'm confused by the need to defend this wish, there are a couple of nice features of legend views that a drafting view and a DWG can not do." it´s not a need to defend, sorry for that, i only want to try no create e better analise of solutions and need's, cause some times we see wish's that are workaround´s of solutions that already exist, not that i´s saying that´s this case. But i think that is always helpfful to discuss a little before creating a wishlist.

Sorry for some trouble i could give u.

Thumbs up Re: Ability to export/import legend views, similar to detail views

DEFINITELY....COME ON....!!!!!