See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update NWC in NWF

Login to Give a bone

Default Update NWC in NWF

Is there a way that the NWC files can be updated or regenerated while the NWF that they are attached to is open. Like the way xrefs can be updated and saved while they are being used in another drawing? Right now I just close the nwf then nwcout the drawing I want to update then reopen the nwf. If I try to regenerate teh NWC with nwcout from AutoCAD MEP 2008 while the NWF is open, it won't allow me to overwrite the file. Also I'm merging the files together using Navisworks, should I be appending them?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Update NWC in NWF

Simply saving the drawing file and then issuing a refresh in NavisWorks ought to do the trick, as long as you have the .DWG settings correct in NavisWorks. I guess my real question is, "Why do you need to do NWCOut in AutoCAD MEP 2008?" I'm using MEP 2008 and NavisWorks 2009 directly imports the MEP drawings when you have the object enablers set up correctly.

See this post.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

What do the settings need to be for .DWG under global options? How did you set up the object enablers?

Login to Give a bone

Did you even click on the link I so convienently provided in my first reply?
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I don't personally link DWG files for projects of any size, although its quite easy to do so. I too prefer to link NWC files simply because the load times are astronomically faster than converting DWGs. Once again, you'd have to have a project of some size to see the differences in load times.

I prefer for trades to post their DWGS and a NWC for each area/floor. I have the master NWF, and overwrite the working NWCs, saving myself and everyone in coordination meetings some precious time.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cjehly View Post
    I don't personally link DWG files for projects of any size, although its quite easy to do so. I too prefer to link NWC files simply because the load times are astronomically faster than converting DWGs. Once again, you'd have to have a project of some size to see the differences in load times.

I prefer for trades to post their DWGS and a NWC for each area/floor. I have the master NWF, and overwrite the working NWCs, saving myself and everyone in coordination meetings some precious time.
    While I appreciate your response, it has no real value for the OP. They were having an issue with being unable to update the .nwc while the master .nwf is loaded. Perhaps you may offer some counsel on that issue?

BTW, we too post both CAD and NavisWorks files for team coordination.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Alrighty...

Under Global Options, on the NWC tab, check the 2 boxes labeled "Read Cache" & "Write Cache". (JetStream v5). If its in a different location in 09, hopefully someone will point you towards it.

Once this is set, you will be able to REFRESH the NWF file and reload any changed NWC files. You may have to close the NWF first, and reopen it after changing the settings.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cjehly View Post
    Once this is set, you will be able to REFRESH the NWF file and reload any changed NWC files.
    Now that's what the doctor ordered!

Here is a related issue...

NavisWorks compares the datestamps of a .dwg and .nwc and loads the .nwc if there is no change, and only works with the .dwg to update the .nwc if the datestamps are out of sync. So the .nwc-only approach requires you to depend on the CAD staff updating the .nwc every time they update the drawing.

Personally, I prefer to let the application find the latest files and use them, without worrying if the .nwc files have been manually updated.

Is there no problem with this in your office?
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Now that's what the doctor ordered!

Here is a related issue...

NavisWorks compares the datestamps of a .dwg and .nwc and loads the .nwc if there is no change, and only works with the .dwg to update the .nwc if the datestamps are out of sync. So the .nwc-only approach requires you to depend on the CAD staff updating the .nwc every time they update the drawing.

Personally, I prefer to let the application find the latest files and use them, without worrying if the .nwc files have been manually updated.

Is there no problem with this in your office?
    The NWCs are updated every time an in-house modeler uses NWNAVIGATOR inside of Autocad. I have yet to work on a completely "live" project with all trades. I've been to meetings where this goal was stated, but the outcome still ended up being (at best) daily updates.

I use Scriptpro to generate my NWCs for me at night as well, so this my be partially to blame for my personal preference.
    Last edited by cjehly; 2008-09-23 at 11:27 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think there is still an option for "Close NWC/NWD files on load", which is turned off by default. When an NWC file is opened in NavisWorks, regardless of whether it is pointed to directly or indirectly through the associated DWG file and the option is off the NWC file is kept in an "open" state, preventing it from being updated. With the option turned on, the NWC file is released once it is loaded in NavisWorks allowing it to be updated if required by outside sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast