See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place Light Switches in Plan

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Place Light Switches in Plan

The ability to place light switches in the lighting plan view. Unless I am doing it wrong, (which is entirely possible) I constantly have to switch in between power and lighting views to first place the switches, then to assign the circuiting.

Reflected ceiling plans are fine for architects, but we also have under cabinet lighting, wall mount lighting, etc. along with switches, etc...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Place Light Switches in Plan

Try changing the bottom view depth to 1100mm or just below whatever your switch mounting height is over there in imperial land.

All you need to do after that is hide the unwanted elements that you end up seeing from that such as any receptacles/outlets that are mounted quite high, or panel/distribution boards.

May work.

I used this method on a test project trying to make the model functional yet looking roughly like our old ACAD drawings. See attached.

You should be able to work out which one is the light switch and which ones are GPOs. (Australian standards, you'll work them out...)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz View Post
    The ability to place light switches in the lighting plan view. Unless I am doing it wrong, (which is entirely possible) I constantly have to switch in between power and lighting views to first place the switches, then to assign the circuiting.

Reflected ceiling plans are fine for architects, but we also have under cabinet lighting, wall mount lighting, etc. along with switches, etc...
    The lighting plan should not be a reflected ceiling type view. RClgs are fine for coordination, but useless for the actual plans.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

i actually use a ceiling plan for my lighting sheets, with view range from current floor up to next level (cut plane at floor), and turn off electrical fixtures,etc. (hide receptacles and voice/data device categories). then my power/systems sheets are floor plan views of the same model with view range from level above down to current level floor (cut plane at level above), with lighting fixtures and lighting devices turned off. each view has it's own tags, i think it works really well. i've attached a pdf of each from a current project. let me know if you need more specifics on the view ranges, that's possibly what's keeping you from placing switches in your lighting views.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhartmann View Post
    i actually use a ceiling plan for my lighting sheets, with view range from current floor up to next level (cut plane at floor)...
    That does look pretty good.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

i actually use a ceiling plan for my lighting sheets, with view range from current floor up to next level (cut plane at floor), and turn off electrical fixtures,etc. (hide receptacles and voice/data device categories). then my power/systems sheets are floor plan views of the same model with view range from level above down to current level floor (cut plane at level above), with lighting fixtures and lighting devices turned off. each view has it's own tags, i think it works really well. i've attached a pdf of each from a current project. let me know if you need more specifics on the view ranges, that's possibly what's keeping you from placing switches in your lighting views.
    Exactly how I do it. Although I just figured out how you "international" folk show which switch controls which set of lights. Never seen the letters next to the switch and the light before. We show ours slightly differently... Wires to lights indicate switching group for one.

Login to Give a bone

I do the same.

To make things a bit easier however, I will just put power and lighting on different worksets. This way I can create the exact plan I want without having to play with V/G as much. It also makes it easier to segment bigger models.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    I do the same.

To make things a bit easier however, I will just put power and lighting on different worksets. This way I can create the exact plan I want without having to play with V/G as much. It also makes it easier to segment bigger models.
    Interesting... I will have to try all of your helpful suggestions. Thanks, guys! (and/or gurls)

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    I do the same.

Ditto - We use different worksets by floor and by system - power, lighting, and misc systems.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Please note that I've moved this thread out of the Wishlist forum, since there appears to be no valid wishing going on. (Well, maybe we are all wishing for better quality of life, but I digress.)
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast