Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding lines using Family Types

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Hiding lines using Family Types

Hi,

I’m trying to understand how I can have symbolic lines turn on and off within a family.

I have a flat 2D wash-hand basin. It comes in a 1, 2 & 3 tap-hole configuration from the manufacturer.
    I have a single *.RFA file of the wash-hand basin and want to create 3 Family Types, each representing the 3 different tap-hole positions.

So, Type 1 would have a single central tap-hole only. Type 2 has no central tap-hole but 2 holes either side of the centre-line, etc.

How do I control visibility of lines using the Family Type please?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Hiding lines using Family Types

The Visible parameter of the lines needs to be associated with a Yes/No parameter. You can either make the parameter first and use the little sneaky gray square button in the Symbolic line properties dialog that is off to the right for Visible or use the button and create the parameter on the fly in the Associate Family Parameter dialog.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve, thanks for coming back to me.

In the Family Types dialogue box, I've added a Parameter called 'VIZ', grouped under 'Graphics' and is an 'Instance'.

Back in the Family Types dialogue box, the VIZ parameter value has a check in the box for 1 taphole variant, and is unchecked in the 2 taphole variant.

I Selected some linework -> Element Properties and (I'm proud of this) had actually found that sneaky little grey button to the right myself to the right of 'Visible'. Under Associate Family Parameter selected 'VIZ', and then OK and OK again.

(Time moves on)
    I've got myself to a point that I’ve tried most Graphics -> Visibility box checked and unchecked, Associate Family Parameter <none> and VIZ, and Family Types VIZ Value checked and unchecked combinations, but I cannot get the 2 family types to alternate in the model. So I'm pretty certain that I’m missing something fundamental at an early stage.

Would appreciate any guidance please.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I'm going to ask somethere here and please don't take it the wrong way: when you say you don't see it changing in the model, are referring to within the Family or after it's loaded into the project itself?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by echo View Post
    I'm going to ask somethere here and please don't take it the wrong way: when you say you don't see it changing in the model, are referring to within the Family or after it's loaded into the project itself?
    Hi Echo,

After I load it into the Project.

Is there a help articel on this, as I couldn't find it, and I like to work out problems before bothering the good folks here in AUGI if the answer is already published?

Thanks again.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Damian,

Could you please post your family the way it is right now so we can take a look at it and hopefully be able to tell you where the problem is and how to fix it?

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Carvalho View Post
    Damian,

Could you please post your family the way it is right now so we can take a look at it and hopefully be able to tell you where the problem is and how to fix it?

Andre Carvalho
    Thank you.

Here's another example of my problem.
    We are doing a residential scheme with a lot of electrical outlets. We will produce elevations setting out all the outlets. Where a twin power socket is positioned above another twin power socket, I want to have a single family that I can place on itself, and choose to show either the 'TSSO Low Level' or the 'TSSO High Level' as a graphical symbol in plan. (This is because we will have low and med level outlets, and Med and High level outlets, and sometimes Low, Med & High level outlets, so instead of having up to 7 families to represent each combination, I place the first instance of the component on the wall as normal. The second instance of the component is placed on top of the first, but I activate the symbol second out from the wall, as so on.
    I've attached an image to explain this a little further. (Note, the important part of the plan info is that the electrician can see how many sockets are required for 1st fix. He can later refer to the elevations to position them in height).

My family has only sets of symbols for plan views, but once I get this sorted will have 3 sets of symbols in plan, with 2 not visible at any one time.

And so to the *.RFA:
    First problem I've got is even though I only select the, say, upper set of lines -> Element Properties ->Graphics ->Associate Family Parameter, both upper and lower set of linework gets affected.

And when I import this into the main model the family type doesn’t change.

Thanks for your patience.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Just to restate what Echo was saying above, when you are in the family editor and something is "invisible" it just turns gray, it doesn't disappear. when you then load that family into a project, thats when the invisible parts are truly invisible.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Thank you.

Here's another example of my problem.
    We are doing a residential scheme with a lot of electrical outlets. We will produce elevations setting out all the outlets. Where a twin power socket is positioned above another twin power socket, I want to have a single family that I can place on itself, and choose to show either the 'TSSO Low Level' or the 'TSSO High Level' as a graphical symbol in plan. (This is because we will have low and med level outlets, and Med and High level outlets, and sometimes Low, Med & High level outlets, so instead of having up to 7 families to represent each combination, I place the first instance of the component on the wall as normal. The second instance of the component is placed on top of the first, but I activate the symbol second out from the wall, as so on.
    I've attached an image to explain this a little further. (Note, the important part of the plan info is that the electrician can see how many sockets are required for 1st fix. He can later refer to the elevations to position them in height).

My family has only sets of symbols for plan views, but once I get this sorted will have 3 sets of symbols in plan, with 2 not visible at any one time.

And so to the *.RFA:
    First problem I've got is even though I only select the, say, upper set of lines -> Element Properties ->Graphics ->Associate Family Parameter, both upper and lower set of linework gets affected.

And when I import this into the main model the family type doesn’t change.

Thanks for your patience.
    Damian,

Here is your "single family fits all".

The problem was the instance parameters. Since they are the same family but look different when you change the types, I made the parameters as "type" parameters.

See attached file and reverse engineer. Notice that changing the types will make the outlets change exactly as you show in your image. You will have to adjust the height of your outlets because I had no idea on that.

Andre Carvalho
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dlister View Post
    Just to restate what Echo was saying above, when you are in the family editor and something is "invisible" it just turns gray, it doesn't disappear. when you then load that family into a project, thats when the invisible parts are truly invisible.
    Yes, that's the way I understand it works and is what I'm looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast