Thread: Unable to recover this drawing

Login to Give a bone

Default Unable to recover this drawing

Howdy everyone out there in AutoCAD land! I have a user that I think may be pretty screwed... Upon opening the file, this error, "Unable to open this drawing. It contains incorrect or corrupted information. The RECOVER command may be able to restore undamaged material from this drawing. The technical problem detected is: (then it shows the path to the drawing)" pops up. When I try to RECOVER the drawing, I get the error popup "Unable to recover this drawing". Does anyone out there have any ideas what could be happening? Or know of any other utilities I might be able to use to fix this file?

This file (see attached) is a 2007 DWG file format. I am trying to work on it in AutoCAD 2008 on a Windows XP - 32 bit, SP2 machine. I have also usee the PURGEIDS tool that we own here in our office & that doesn't work on the file either. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you all might have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unable to recover this drawing

I haven't tried this recently but, in the past, IntelliCAD has often opened files that acad couldn't.

All AUGI, all the time SRBalliet's Avatar
    Near Christiansburg, VA Looking for a closer job!
    Login to Give a bone

I tried Microstation V8. No go.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Unable to recover this drawing

IntelliCAD can only open a bad file because it does not check the accuracy or integrity of the file or limit corruption and problems down the road on open with CRC checks and data structure checks. This is why AutoCAD checks a file to make sure that data wont cause problems for you later or data that is incorrect which is bad. I fully understand getting a file open is a good thing but resurrecting a file with bad data you may not be aware of or spread to others and cause an office corruption issue is also bad.

There are so many things that can cause a corruption from hardware like bad memory, reverse engineered file format issues, servers burping, customization, other applications, software bugs, and more but the main thing is to find out the cause and solve from that point.

I will be looking into this file in a file autopsy.

Best Regards,
    Shaan
    Autodesk

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    I haven't tried this recently but, in the past, IntelliCAD has often opened files that acad couldn't.

Login to Give a bone

I will have a look at your drawing but can you email more history on this DWG? Also be careful when purging IDs or objects as that can in some cases make a much worse mess of the file.

Sincerely,
    Shaan

Shaan Hurley
    Platform Technology Evangelist
    Autodesk, Inc.

Direct 415 507-8432
    Mobile 415 328-6747
    Email: shaan@autodesk.com

Blog
    http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/

Get involved in Shaping the Future of all Autodesk products
    http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Unable to recover this drawing

Unfortunatly the drawing is far too corrupted to open at this time and I looked at the internal structure of the file. Any details on what coccured around the time the problem was noiticed may assist.

Quote Originally Posted by shaan.hurley View Post
    I will have a look at your drawing but can you email more history on this DWG? Also be careful when purging IDs or objects as that can in some cases make a much worse mess of the file.

Sincerely,
    Shaan

Shaan Hurley
    Platform Technology Evangelist
    Autodesk, Inc.

Direct 415 507-8432
    Mobile 415 328-6747
    Email: shaan@autodesk.com

Blog
    http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/

Get involved in Shaping the Future of all Autodesk products
    http://myfeedback.autodesk.com/

Login to Give a bone

Thanks so much for all the insight everyone. You have all been a great help. After posting this problem everywhere, we finally had to go to the backups & restore an earlier version of the file.

As I am the software guy here at my company, I don’t have the information about the file's history. I do appreciate you all digging in on it though. Sorry I fell off the face of the earth on this one. I have been a little swamped here at work as of late.

Thanks again!

I could stop if I wanted to mom of 3's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

this morning I had this same exact problem. now this is causing a problem with my sheet files. when I tried to open the file, though, all I got was this error:
    "file (my drawing path).dwg is not a valid drawing file" & nothing else.
    I went into the other base drawing that it is xref'd into, & it says "needs recover" next to it instead of "loaded". I then tried to recover my first drawing, it gave me the error "unable to recover this drawing"

the drawing was originally a .dgn we received from a client, I had it converted to .dwg, then proceeded to change it to our standards, like normal. what's irritating is I was working in the drawing yesterday with no problems!!!!!!!! after reading this post, I really don't see any solutions yet, so are there any suggestions other than intellicad?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mom of 3 View Post
    this morning I had this same exact problem. now this is causing a problem with my sheet files. when I tried to open the file, though, all I got was this error:
    "file (my drawing path).dwg is not a valid drawing file" & nothing else.
    I went into the other base drawing that it is xref'd into, & it says "needs recover" next to it instead of "loaded". I then tried to recover my first drawing, it gave me the error "unable to recover this drawing"

the drawing was originally a .dgn we received from a client, I had it converted to .dwg, then proceeded to change it to our standards, like normal. what's irritating is I was working in the drawing yesterday with no problems!!!!!!!! after reading this post, I really don't see any solutions yet, so are there any suggestions other than intellicad?
    Try to use DWG TrueView.It is free from Autodesk.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Unable to recover this drawing

Quote Originally Posted by WhataMaroon View Post
    Thanks so much for all the insight everyone. You have all been a great help. After posting this problem everywhere, we finally had to go to the backups & restore an earlier version of the file.

As I am the software guy here at my company, I don’t have the information about the file's history. I do appreciate you all digging in on it though. Sorry I fell off the face of the earth on this one. I have been a little swamped here at work as of late.

Thanks again!
    I have simillar problem here, I use AutoCAD 2010, and save my file on 2004 dwg.
    and I still don't know how to fix this problem, I don't have back up data and the information about file's history
    what should I do? somebody help please...