Thread: New Civil 3d user! Need lots of help ;-)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default New Civil 3d user! Need lots of help ;-)

I'm coming from LDDT. Like most it's very slow right now so I'm trying to set up some stuff in Civil 3d. Most of our clients won't be making the switch from sometime but we have nothing else to do. lol. So i've been trying to create some point styles and I'm totally lost. All these differenet style to me are freaking redicoulous but i'm assuming in the long run it will be very productive. My first question is where could I find a good tutorial on how to set up these point styles so I can actually get some points into my drawing. All I can get is the nodes into the drawing. I'm missing something. My view is on true for lable styles and blah blah. I guess I just really need a step by step tutorial to teach me how to do this. I can't find anything on this site or in the help feature on civil 3d.

All I want to do is setup a simple point style for all my points. Thats all I need. Just get the points into the drawing and viewable. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Then I can tweak all the other stuff. Can you help me. Eventually I will want symbols to come in with certain point descriptions and for them to seperate into their own layers but as of right now i just need viewable points.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Civil 3d user! Need lots of help ;-)

Here's something that might get you started:

http://www.ejsurveying.com/Articles/C3DPointStyles.aspx

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sinc View Post
    Here's something that might get you started:

http://www.ejsurveying.com/Articles/C3DPointStyles.aspx
    thank you. I guess I'm just frustrated that I can't figure out why the heck I can't view my point label styles. I get nodes and not labels. ???????? What am I missing. God I'm so frustrated. I know it's got to be something stupid and I can't figure it out.

Login to Give a bone

Yeah, the order of stuff gets confusing.

Note that Points can be part of multiple Point Groups. By default, all points go into the "All Points" point group, but you can also add the same point to other Point Groups. When a point is part of multiple Point Groups, the top-most Point Group is the important one for display purposes. You may need to change the order of Point Groups in the Point Group hierarchy to get what you want. (We typically leave the "All Points" group LAST in the hierarchy, down at the very bottom.)

After that, the display of any given point occurs in this order:

The Point Marker/Label style in the Point Group, IF the "Override" option is selected in the Point Group properties.
    The Point Marker/Label styles assigned to the Point itself.
    The Point Marker/Label styles in the Point Group, IF the "Override" option is NOT selected in the Point Group properties.

Note that, by default, the Label Style in the "All Points" point group is set to NONE. So, you will not see your Point Label unless you change this setting in the "All Points" point group, or unless you assign a Point Label Style directly to the Point, or unless you put your points in a Point Group that has a Point Label Style assigned.

After that, you can also use the Point Marker style to control the Point Label. In order to do this, you should create your Point Label styles so that they put everything on Layer 0. Then you can use the layer settings in the Point Marker Style to control the label, and do things like put the Point Marker and Point Label on different layers.

I know, sounds complicated. But it isn't too bad once you get used to it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

ok That was my problem. I wasn't inserting into a points group. Once I imported into a points group I was able to view my point labels. Now I just have to tweak them. I'm so confused. lol I will mess with it. I'm sure you will see a lot of me.