Thread: Overlapping Areas? Different Area Plans still subtract.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Overlapping Areas? Different Area Plans still subtract.

I have a house on a site. I made an area plan to determine lot coverage. I had already done a site area and noticed that after I did the coverage area, the site area had changed to subtract the coverage area and now the site area tag reads the wrong number.

What I thought I would do is make another area plan showing only the site area and hiding the coverage area. I found it still subtracts one from the other.

I suppose that the answer to this is to make a formula in a schedule that displays the two added together. Not a graphic approach, but OK.

The problem that remains is the site area tag still reats the wrong number.

I'm having problems with the Revit Help file. It's is hard to find the specific explanations that I'm looking for and I end up coming here, frustrated as a last chance to have someone hold my hand and show me the answer. Maybe we need a fourm on how to better leverage the help information. I find that a lot of the explanations just say what a tool is not how to use it. Funny thing is, my brother in law used to work for discreet writing manuals. He was an english major. Didn't know the software, had never worked in the industry. Had cursively "played" with the software. Maybe autodesk changed that, but it seems like an industry problem. Like hiring "managers" who didn't come up the ladder they're managing.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Overlapping Areas? Different Area Plans still subtract.

It looks like I'm misusing the area object. It's a system family and there's no site area, and I can't edit it.

How do you do site area and zoning analysis?

Login to Give a bone

For overlapping areas, I've had to create different area plans. For example, to do BOMA calculations, you need to establish your gross building area, then subtract Major Vertical Penetrations.

As you know, If I lay out both areas on the same plan, then revit will automatically subtract one from the other. Mathematically, it works, but I need to produce that standard BOMA spreadsheet that our developers are used to seeing.

So how do I manage two different areas, that don't subtract when they overlap? I create a new Area Scheme.

In the Room and Area Tab, click on "Settings..."

Click on the "Area Schemes" tab.

In my example, I would create a "Gross Building Area" scheme, and a "Major Vertical Penetrations" scheme.

Now this will create two different types of area plans. But at least the areas can overlap.

For your situation, perhaps you could use the property line tool to highlight the lot area. The area within the property line will not change, regardless of what areas you create?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by saeborne View Post
    For overlapping areas, I've had to create different area plans. For example, to do BOMA calculations, you need to establish your gross building area, then subtract Major Vertical Penetrations.

As you know, If I lay out both areas on the same plan, then revit will automatically subtract one from the other. Mathematically, it works, but I need to produce that standard BOMA spreadsheet that our developers are used to seeing.

So how do I manage two different areas, that don't subtract when they overlap? I create a new Area Scheme.

In the Room and Area Tab, click on "Settings..."

Click on the "Area Schemes" tab.

In my example, I would create a "Gross Building Area" scheme, and a "Major Vertical Penetrations" scheme.

Now this will create two different types of area plans. But at least the areas can overlap.

For your situation, perhaps you could use the property line tool to highlight the lot area. The area within the property line will not change, regardless of what areas you create?
    Can I harvest Area from The Property Line objects?

I could stop if I wanted to Maximillian's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you use the revit property lines you can name them and use them for area. Select the property line > element properties > add a name.

Then you can schedule it. And your building area lines will not interfere. You can also add a building coverage calc like 40% * "area name"

Another solution is to use slightly different levels (views). For example use the top of foundation for the building foot print and the first floor for the itemized areas.

I use area plans for my site plan because you can add a hatch and graphically locate them.

The problem I am having is that I want to graphically show areas that overlap, its a remodel....