Thread: Saving Sheet Sets to Network Drive

Login to Give a bone

Default Saving Sheet Sets to Network Drive

Looking for a little more help. It seems that you cannot save sheet sets to a network drive unless you are an Administrator of the local PC. I have been able to test this with a workgroup of mine and it works every time. If the user is a Power User (Windows 2000), he cannot save sheet sets to the server. If he saves them to his local PC and then copies them over to the server the sheet set is locked and no changes can be made. If I make the user an Admin, there is no problem at all. In a post on the Autodesk website, it says if you have connected to a drive/server in the past as an Admin, then you can only save sheet sets to that drive when your an admin? Doesn't make sense to me, but it seems like they are telling the truth. The only problem that I have is that my users have to connect to the server as an Admin because that is where the software image is that they install AutoCAD from. I take them off Admin once they install the software. Any help with this would be helpful. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Saving Sheet Sets to Network Drive

I'm a power user on my win2k machine, and have had no problems with saving sheet sets to the network. Also I have been an admin and connected to those drives.

The only problem that I have is that my users have to connect to the server as an Admin because that is where the software image is that they install AutoCAD from. I take them off Admin once they install the software. Any help with this would be helpful. Thanks.
    What about having an admin account on the computer. Then just log into it when you need to install a program.

Login to Give a bone

We do have Admin accounts on the PC. I just usually try to install programs under the user that will be using them. Just an old habit of mine when some programs made you do it that way. Maybe I just need to reinstall the software under the admin name and see how that works. What kind of privileges do you have on the server? I use to have the folder that they were going to put the sheet sets in as Modify (Security), but now I have moved it up to full control for the folder. Are you on a domain? I'm just trying to think what is different between the two of us. Thanks for your quick response. I am having the Autodesk Tech Support look at, but sometimes they take awhile. Thanks again.

Login to Give a bone

Ya, I have had a couple of programs that would act funny if installed while log into another account.

I have full access to all our servers, and we are on a domain.

I am having the Autodesk Tech Support look at, but sometimes they take awhile.
    I know what you mean. Not the faster people on earth.

Login to Give a bone

Can I asked how you installed your software? Did you do it under the user or admins name? I really think that is what the problem is. Autodesk is trying to say it is the share permissions on the network drive. But I know it isn't because if the local user is a Power user on his PC, it doesn't work. If he is an Admin on his PC, it works. Makes no sense. If you could tell me how you installed yours, it might help me figure this one out. Thanks for the help.

Login to Give a bone

Had to ask IT how the did it. She couldn't remember. Chances are it was installed under my account with admin rights.