Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snap and Grid still used ?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Snap and Grid still used ?

Polar, Otrack and running object snaps!!! I never use ortho or snap grid anymore... The others are too elegant to go back...

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The last time I used either one was one day in class 8 years ago. I found no use for it and never have. I always use the direct distance entry and in complex shapes or my 3d modeling will set up points of intersection after working out the math.

Now, I have a friend that has recently become interested in learning ACAD and she will not draw anything with out snaps being on and will often use grid when it does not tell her that the grid is too dense. (I have tried explaining that to her but she has not grasped it yet).

I believe that it should be pointed out but not lectured on for any great amount of time.

Login to Give a bone

I think that it should be mentioned but not gone in depth on. As others have mentioned, there are quite a few things in AutoCAD that should be removed. However there is always that one company or discipline that do things the old way and you end up looking ignorant if you have no idea what they are talking about.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I use SNAP mainly because I keep my COORDS set to 2 and do a direct readout of my distances. I've been doing this since 1988 so it's a hard habit to break.

FWIW

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Snap and Grid still used ?

I don't use snaps for the simple fact that it leaves room for error. I don't know if you realize it but most people who use AutoCAD anymore only experienced enough to get in trouble. Grids and snaps are good if you know how to use them but, if you barly know how to run AutoCAD it can throw off your accuracy. That's why most people who draw with them on have entities that lack accuracy and there is no excuse with a precision instrument like AutoCAD. I draw in AutoCAD with all my OSnap on and tab to the one I want (much faster). I have my precision in the unit and dimension setup set to the highest setting (there is no excuse not to). I do run with ortho on most of the time, toggling off and on when needed, and I use polar occasionally but not often. I find that most people (not all) make more inaccurate mistakes with polar than with ortho. No offense to a architects but they have the hardest time with the transition. Most are partial to the old reliable table and draw in AutoCAD like they're still on the table. Keep in mind that these are only my opinions and everyone has one, but I have trained many people and have them with these views. Most everyone who I have trained has agreed. Thank You.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12