Thread: PDF995 in a Network Environment

Login to Give a bone

Default PDF995 in a Network Environment

Hi,

We've purchased PDF995 for plotting from AutoCAD. I install PDF995 on my workstation, and then create a network based PC3 file. I've created custom form sizes in Printers and Faxes - Server Properties.

I'll then create page setups which use these custom form sizes - e.g. 30x48, 30x42, etc..

Then, after installing PDF995 on another workstation, the only way the plots will work correctly is if the other workstation has exactly the same configuration of custom forms added on the local machine, added in the exact same order. (!)

Does anyone have a practical solution for network-based PDF995 with AutoCAD? We cannot rely on consistent configuration of custom forms across all workstations, as these are likely to be customized by the users over time..

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: PDF995 in a Network Environment

My office has been running PDF995 in 50+ workstations since before I started nearly 3 years ago. Our only issue has been ensuring licenses & versions are up to date.

As for a solution, use ACAD templates and plot through PDF995. No one in my office, that I know of, has modified PDF995 in any way to accommodate different plot sizes. I've installed it on 4 different work stations in my department with everyone being able to plot the same sizes without any modifications. Everything was based on pagesetup in ACAD.

HTH

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Hi Bill,

Can you embellish a bit on how you have your template set up? We're using AMEP with ACAD templates as 'page setup overrides', kind of how you are suggesting.

I've created a PC3 file from my local PDF995 driver. The PDF995.pc3 file seems to want to draw page sizes from the local machine's custom forms.

Maybe you have configured your PC3 file differently? Or are you not using the PC3 file?

Perhaps if you have a minute, could you describe how you have configured PDF995 in your template?

Thank you very much,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    My office has been running PDF995 in 50+ workstations since before I started nearly 3 years ago. Our only issue has been ensuring licenses & versions are up to date.

As for a solution, use ACAD templates and plot through PDF995. No one in my office, that I know of, has modified PDF995 in any way to accommodate different plot sizes. I've installed it on 4 different work stations in my department with everyone being able to plot the same sizes without any modifications. Everything was based on pagesetup in ACAD.

HTH

Bill

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Paul,

Every department has an ACAD template that was originally based off of a master template that has all of the page sizes that we use on a regular basis. If someone needs to modify that at all, they change the drawing in question for the new plotting style.

As far as I know, there is not a PDF995 PC3 file that has been modified. Each workstation has PDF995 installed and licensed individually. When in ACAD 2006-2009 we tell it to plot the drawing using PDF995 and set the page size per the list available from the stock install, which has covered every size that we use so far. My stock list has at least 50 different page sizes on it.

If I'm going to publish to pdf995, I run pagesetup in one drawing; set it up the way I need to for the paper size and how it is to plot, then force it to be a template for the remainder of the drawings in the set.

Another option is to have a batch file that copies a protected PDF995 PC3 file off of the network into the individual work stations on a daily basis, say at startup. That way, if additional page sizes are needed, the one file gets changed, but everyone's file gets updated automatically.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by paul_mep View Post
    Hi Bill,

Can you embellish a bit on how you have your template set up? We're using AMEP with ACAD templates as 'page setup overrides', kind of how you are suggesting.

I've created a PC3 file from my local PDF995 driver. The PDF995.pc3 file seems to want to draw page sizes from the local machine's custom forms.

Maybe you have configured your PC3 file differently? Or are you not using the PC3 file?

Perhaps if you have a minute, could you describe how you have configured PDF995 in your template?

Thank you very much,
    Paul

Login to Give a bone

Problem is - we're using custom form sizes (e.g. 30x4..

I am 99% sure that it is drawing the page size from the local machine's (printers and faxes) custom forms based on the POSITION at which it was added to the custom forms list. e.g. if I add 22x34 then 30x48 on one machine and set up the template for 30x48.. then add 30x48 and 22x34 (in that order) to the other machine's custom forms, a plot on the other machine at 30x48 will come out 22x34.

Bizarre.

Does anyone have a solution? I cannot imagine this to be an unsolvable problem.

Thanks,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    Paul,

Every department has an ACAD template that was originally based off of a master template that has all of the page sizes that we use on a regular basis. If someone needs to modify that at all, they change the drawing in question for the new plotting style.

As far as I know, there is not a PDF995 PC3 file that has been modified. Each workstation has PDF995 installed and licensed individually. When in ACAD 2006-2009 we tell it to plot the drawing using PDF995 and set the page size per the list available from the stock install, which has covered every size that we use so far. My stock list has at least 50 different page sizes on it.

If I'm going to publish to pdf995, I run pagesetup in one drawing; set it up the way I need to for the paper size and how it is to plot, then force it to be a template for the remainder of the drawings in the set.

Another option is to have a batch file that copies a protected PDF995 PC3 file off of the network into the individual work stations on a daily basis, say at startup. That way, if additional page sizes are needed, the one file gets changed, but everyone's file gets updated automatically.

Bill

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by paul_mep View Post
    Would like to avoid receiving alternate product recommendations.
    No problem, post deleted. Good luck.

BTW: Why don't you contact PDF995 for support?
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Hah - n/p - sorry, I thought you were plugging your product!

I am in contact with PDF995 for tech support. Because the problem involves AutoCAD, they might not be able to come up with a solution - hence why I am asking here..

Any help is super greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain View Post
    No problem, post deleted. Good luck.

BTW: Why don't you contact PDF995 for support?

Login to Give a bone

Does anyone know how to add custom page sizes to PDF995 in a network environment that do not reply on custom form sizes on a local user's machine?

Please, anyone?

Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Nevermind, I figured this out, finally, after much experimentation.

Thanks anyway..

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Paul

We have the same problem - What was your solution ???