Thread: Open Xref to a specific location

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Open Xref to a specific location

Hi All-

I really like the Open Xref command, but I am wondering if there is any way that a user can select an xref and have it open it, zoomed up to the location they selected on. Typically, I xref my building sections into a drawing and I open as many viewports as are necessary. Occasionally, I find that I would love to edit the xref by opening up the viewport and selecting the xref. Once the xref is open I find that I have to search around until I locate the exact portion of the drawing that I was viewing through the viewport. I know that I could probably write a routine that could store the point where you select the xref and then proceed to open the selected file. However, I am not quite sure how one goes about translated the coordinates from one drawing to another. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Manuel A. Ayala
    CAD Concepts

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open Xref to a specific location

Just thinking out loud.....Grab the VIEWCTR, VIEWSIZE, and VIEWTWIST from the main drawing, then after opening the xref, use ZOOM and maybe DVIEW to set up the view.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Open Xref to a specific location

After obtaining the values as rkmcswain indicates you'd probably need to convert them from the current UCS to the position / scale / rotation / mirror of the xref object. This so you can apply the converted values to the next DWG after opening. Unsure if the trans function could work. It's supposed to be able to convert 3d points from one UCS to another: e.g.
    Code:
    (trans pt 1 en) ;pt is the point to convert, en is the ename of the xref like with (car (entsel))
    This converts the current UCS (that's why the 1) to the object UCS of the xref - usually 0,0 is "moved" to the xref/block's insertion point and rotations applied to Z Y & X axses as needed. I'm unsure how any mirrors will work - but you probably don't have any for xrefs.