Thread: Points on a curve

Login to Give a bone

Post Points on a curve

I have had difficulties understanding how to have my field cures shoot curves with more than three points on a curve. Most of our projects are in rural areas that have roads with a very large radius.

At this time I just have my crew put “POC” after our code then go in there and draw the curve myself. I would like to have the computer draw it for me when I import the field book file.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Points on a curve

The field crew can use the C3 code in the data collector and then shoot the PC, POC and the PT on the curve. The C3 command will draw a curve through these 3 points. This works well on plan drawings but might hurt you on topos, especially on long curves. You won't have any topo shots along the curve between your 3 points.
    Perhaps your best solution is to have them shoot the curve normally but noting the beginning of the curve as PT in the descriptor, a POC descriptor about midway on the curve and the POT descriptor at the end of the curve. Then you can draw a 3 point arc using those points.Using this curve as a Proximity fault can pick up the extra elevations along the curve.

Login to Give a bone

We had this same problem in the past. I came up with a way for both field and office liked. I made a new code and called it MPC (multi point curve) I used the desc keys to map it to a new layer, use a bold color, and we could isolate it from the rest of the topo. I would use a pedit on that line, and use a fit curve. Then I would do the same as dcermak said. Use that line as a proximity fault if you need it.

What the field like about this method, is that they can run multiple lines as they go. So you could have the Edge of Metal, Gutterpan, Back of Curb, Sidewalk, shot all in as they walk (MPC1,MPC2,MPC3….)

Login to Give a bone

At some point (maybe the 2007 version?) Autodesk added the MCS (multi-point curve start) and MCE (multi-point curve end) commands. Our field guys no longer use the C3 command, much to their joy.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Points on a curve

Thank you all, I see we all have the same problem and AutoCAD has not given us the opportunity to shoot a multi-point curve yet. Maybe in the next version?