Thread: Horizontal Directional Drill

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Horizontal Directional Drill

Hi guys, I'm new here and to Civil 3D so there is a question that I would like to ask and see if anyone would have some ideas. I work for a pipeline engineering company and my main job is to develop alignment sheets. Part of our design includes Horizontal Directional Drills or HDD and I was wondering if Civil 3D had any features to handle this design. I've always used hd pro calc by texla software for all of my drill designs and although it does work well I was just wondering if Autodesk had anything.

Thanks,
    Jason

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Horizontal Directional Drill

sorry if it has taken so long for anybody to get back to you but i was wondeirng around the forums looking for info on plan production tools and sheet set manager and stumbled onto your post about hdd, which is something i have had some experience in as well.
    the best i can tell you is either create your profile layout by using the profile layout tools provided by C3D or use a series of tangent ellipses to create a view of your drill path. i have yet to use the layout tools to create my profile but i have high hope as i design under ground high voltage duct banks (which would explain my knowledge of HDD) and have only created drill paths by using ellipses. keep in mind, using ellipses you are limited to the amount of info autocad projects but using the layout commands C3D will calculate sever parameters for you. i hope this helps and good luck