Thread: Can't update multi-view block

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can't update multi-view block

I have a multi-view block named I-FURN-CHAIR_BAR STOOL and I can’t get it to update correctly. When I created these multi-view blocks some of them were set up to be BYLAYER. I need them to be BYBLOCK.

The top view of this block is I-FURN-CHAIR-BAR STOOL_P. I use the Block Editor to open the block and I change all the linework to be BYBLOCK. I save the changes. Then to test it I change the color of the mv block to be red. Bingo. It works great.

I then use the Block Editor to open the I-FURN-CHAIR-BAR STOOL_F (front view) block and change all the linework to BYBLOCK. I save the changes and switch to the front view in model space. Then when I test it, it doesn’t change to red. It stays white. I went back into the block editor to double-check myself, and it is correct.

I tried completely deleting the front view from the multi-view block and “re-attaching” it, but that didn’t work. I tried closing out of the drawing, and out of ACA. But neither worked. If I insert the front view of the mv block directly into model space, it shows it as BYBLOCK. I also tried dragging the mv block to a palette and inserting it into another drawing. Its still a no-go.

Any ideas? It doesn’t make sense how the top works fine, but the front and side doesn’t.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't update multi-view block

forgot to attach the drawing

Login to Give a bone

I'm looking at it now, but I'm curious as to why you want it to "byblock" instead of "bylayer"?

Okay, you had the model set to "bylayer" still. You also have to change the model block to "byblock", then save it. It should work then.
    Last edited by dzatto; 2008-09-16 at 08:13 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wow, I feel silly. I can't believe I didn't see that. So now I have to change my display configurations. I got that fixed already, and now everything is working great. Thanks for your help with this.

One question though: why would you NOT want the blocks to be BYBLOCK? I looked at all of the OOTB content and that's how they are set up. I guess I just assumed there was good reasoning for this.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jodi_schulz View Post
    Wow, I feel silly. I can't believe I didn't see that. So now I have to change my display configurations. I got that fixed already, and now everything is working great. Thanks for your help with this.

One question though: why would you NOT want the blocks to be BYBLOCK? I looked at all of the OOTB content and that's how they are set up. I guess I just assumed there was good reasoning for this.
    Well, I always want my blocks to take on the layers properties. I see your point, though. With it set to by layer (like I set it), I can't change the color or linetype without editing the block (or changing the layer properties). With it set to by block, I can set the color and line type no matter what layer it's on, or I can set it to By Layer in the properties palette to make it use the layers properties.

Damn, I guess I shoulda set my blocks to by block in hind sight. Oh well, maybe one day I'll change it.