See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Backburner Notifications

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Backburner Notifications

Maybe there should be a "Distributed Rendering" forum where I can single-handedly populate with my own backburner issues...

I've enabled email notifications for errors and completed jobs, and have disabled progress reports, but it still sends me an email for every other task it completes. What's up?

See, I like going to the bar and drinking myself silly while I'm waiting for a big job to finish. I've set it up where I get a text message on my cell phone when the rendering completes or runs into an error, then I know I can go back home and start the post work. But if it sends me progress reports every frame (or every other frame), it adds up to a bajillion text messages (of which my calling plan only allots 1500 per month). I've set up two different mail filters, one for progress reports and one for completion reports, but it seems I shouldn't have to do that...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backburner Notifications

Wow,

I know that this topic was posted more than a year ago now, but I was doing a search on here about a related topic and found this one to be unanswered. I thought I would go ahead and comment on it just in case someone like myself comes along another year from now looking for similar information heh.

I'm not sure if you had ever solved this issue, stusic, or if you'll even read this thread again...but I believe that I know what the issue is and that it still persists in today's versions of the software, through 2010.

When you send a render job to backburner with notifications enabled, there are check boxes that allow you to specific "progress", "failure" and "completion". Truth is, these check boxes don't actually control that functionality. I'm sure that they're intended to, but by all accounts that I see it's simply broken. Here's what you can do to fix it though:

Once the job has been assigned to your manager (I initially suspended it to test this) right click on the job in the list (in the manager) and click "edit settings". You'll notice that even though you told the notifications to not send progress updates in the net render dialog, the setting for "notify progess" in the job queue settings is set to yes. You have to manually change this value in the manager by double clicking on it, and then you'll not receive notifications about it anymore. What sucks is that the manual change needs to be done to each job that gets sent to the manager queue.

At some point here, I'll make sure to report the broken functionality with Autodesk.

So yeah, there you have it. I hope this answer helps...someone =p

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Backburner Notifications

Since it's a persistent problem, you're reply really does help. BB has a bunch of problems; I think it was developed with thought to improving it in the future, only to turn into Autodesk's red-headed stepchild (no offense to red-headed stepchildren) and get pushed to the back burner, so to speak.

It doesn't really seem like that complicated of a program - Autodesk needs to get off their butt since Deadline is looking real good right now. Deadline isn't free like BB, but apparently, this is a situation where you get what you pay for...

Thanks again for the info!