View Poll Results: How useful would this feature be to you?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I really need this

6 50.00%
  • I really want this

3 25.00%
  • I would like this

3 25.00%
  • This would be of little use to me

0 0%
  • I don't want this

0 0%

Thread: MEP2009 Schematic Module

Login to Give a bone

Default MEP2009 Schematic Module

[It] would be really cool to have a schematic module. I can see this working like the Legend Views, but instead of dragging Families into the view, you could drag a System, complete with schematic connectors that you could lay out like a traditional schematic drawing, then, as you add stuff to each system, it would update the schematic drawing.
    Last edited by RobertB; 2008-09-19 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Corrected the initial word

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MEP2009 Schematic Module

The problem would be making this work for ALL types of systems.

I would love for Revit to make a one-line for me, but if it does it all wackily because it is using a method meant for plumbing risers, it will have little use electrically.

I guess that brings me to a theme of a lot of such requests; yes I would love to have it, as long as it is customizable!
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: MEP2009 Schematic Module

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post

I would love for Revit to make a one-line for me, but if it does it all wackily because it is using a method meant for plumbing risers, it will have little use electrically.

I guess that brings me to a theme of a lot of such requests; yes I would love to have it, as long as it is customizable!
    As much as I would love to see Schematic in Revit I just don't think its possible.

Schematic is still done in AutoCAD over here. All our data/power/chilled water/air/sanitary/hot and cold water are still been done in Autocad.

I think Schematic is just too custom and specific for Revit. Every company, region, state, and clients demand a different looking schematic.

Linetypes, Symbols, divisions, zones, and simplified representation is so custom when it comes to schematic.

I have seen many schematics and for some people it looks acceptable but to others it looks totally unaccpetable.

I can see somthing like the 3d - isometric santiray schematic being built in Revit...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post

I totally agree with you about the customisable part.

The way I see it working, initially at least, would be to just kinda drop the system onto a page and let the user re-arrange it into a good looking schematic, with the schematic lines banding between whatever components are physically cojnnected in the model. It would be nice to have a schematic representation of component families, but I would be happy with the Legend type displays to start with.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I'm imagining a tool that works like Microsoft Visio. I think that would be beneficial.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    I'm imagining a tool that works like Microsoft Visio. I think that would be beneficial.
    Well, I would hope it works slightly better than that but I was not imagining it being overly clever, just keeping stuff connected and allowing us users to lay it out as we like. For example, some engineers do distribution schematics top down, others do them bottom up as they would be in the building, if we can lay them out as we see fit, then both sets of engineers will be happy.