Thread: Beginning/End Labels and Align Layers

Login to Give a bone

Default Beginning/End Labels and Align Layers

We're just getting started in Civil 3D with the 2009 release and I just had a few questions regarding alignments. Typically (in LDD) we would use construction (hidden) layers to extend our alignments through the r/w, so that we can sample and create a profile that extends through the intersecting road. I've done this in C3D, and I can turn off the lines/curves/etc. for the alignment so the extension doesn't show past the centerline intersection, but now I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the beginning/end stations that appear to float in the middle of nowhere?

Also, when creating alignment labels, is it possible to have each alignment label set on a separate layer?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Beginning/End Labels and Align Layers

When you create an alignment label style, you have to option to turn on/off the geometry points that get labels. (I haven't figured out yet how to change them for existing styles, so you may have to create a new style to do this.) To get rid of the beginning/ending station labels, uncheck those boxes.

To put each alignment's labels on their own layer, go to the Settings tab of Toolspace, open the Commands section for Alignments, and edit the command for creating an alignment. You can put an asterisk in the layer field so that new alignment labels go on a layer that includes the alignment name.

Civil Engineering Moderator civil3Dguide's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If I understand what your asking, you can hold down Ctrl-select the label you don't want and delete it.

Login to Give a bone

Notice I am using C3D 2008 so there maybe some differences. This is my way, hopefully it helps you.

Bring up the Aligment Labels box. (see picture)
    Remove the check under the start/end station box
    type the new start/end station to the right of the check you just removed

For Example.

Please look at the attached picture. Look at the major stations under the "Type" column, that is my stationing label ( 1+00 , 2+00, etc.) If I remove the check mark under the start station and type in 3+00 or 300. The 1+00 and 2+00 labels would disappear. If I want to restore those labels later for any reason I just go back in and add a check mark. You can do this for any of the labels you want for both the beginning and the end of the alignment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by pjones.182714 View Post
    To put each alignment's labels on their own layer, go to the Settings tab of Toolspace, open the Commands section for Alignments, and edit the command for creating an alignment. You can put an asterisk in the layer field so that new alignment labels go on a layer that includes the alignment name.
    I'm having trouble locating the Layer field. I did locate where I'm supposed to be able to change it (Settings>Alignment>Commands) but can't seem to find anything with a layer field in it. If anyone can help me out with this, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Login to Give a bone

I take it your company is forcing you to learn Civil 3D with no training! I hope this is not the case, if it is, it's a bad idea! I had to go that route for the first month on C3D and it sucked!

Prospector-settings-right click the drawing name-edit drawing settings-objects layers tab

Hopefully your don't have everything being placed on layer 0!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by civil3Dguide View Post
    I take it your company is forcing you to learn Civil 3D with no training! I hope this is not the case, if it is, it's a bad idea! I had to go that route for the first month on C3D and it sucked!

Prospector-settings-right click the drawing name-edit drawing settings-objects layers tab

Hopefully your don't have everything being placed on layer 0!
    We did have a little training with the C3D, but the company that was teaching us didn't do the greatest job. I wasn't aware of the settings that you pointed out, but someone in our group had already assigned layers to the appropriate Objects, or its just their defaults. Not really sure. Always good to know where additional setting are!

The question I was asking was, how do I get alignment labels to go on a different layer for each alignment? That way I can VP Freeze the layers I don't want to show. I figured out how to get the alignments on an individual layer, but the labels all go on the same layer.

Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Maybe this will help, if you place an * in the value section and in the modifier you choose a prefix or suffix, than as objects are created C3D will create a layer just for this object.
    You can also select an object after you create it and place it on another layer, such as a no plot or hidden layer. I hope this makes sense!
    In the image I have my alignments create their own layer when I create them, allowing me to freeze them and their labels, I don't have mine create a layer for each alignment layer, but it should work the same way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Beginning/End Labels and Align Layers

Quote Originally Posted by civil3Dguide View Post
    Maybe this will help, if you place an * in the value section and in the modifier you choose a prefix or suffix, than as objects are created C3D will create a layer just for this object.
    You can also select an object after you create it and place it on another layer, such as a no plot or hidden layer. I hope this makes sense!
    In the image I have my alignments create their own layer when I create them, allowing me to freeze them and their labels, I don't have mine create a layer for each alignment layer, but it should work the same way.
    I meant to say "I don't have my alignment labels creating their own layers".

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for taking the time to answer that. It really helps out a lot. I knew there had to be a way to do it.

Thanks!