Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: autocad 2008 crashes

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation autocad 2008 crashes

autocad 2008 has been working fine for me for over a year. now, i can not use any of the following file menu options without causing autocad to crash: "new", "open", "save as" among others. the problem is not with the files i am trying to access. i am not even given the menu option does not come up before the program crashes.

i am running windows vista 32 bit.

we have been working out an issue with the server recently but i don't know of how it could be causing this issue, but i thought i should mention it in case that spurs any ideas.

i have tried the following:

- run a repair / reinstall on autocad.
    - i totally uninstalled and cleaned autocad off my computer and reinstalled it as described here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617.
    - i have tried this solution: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617

nothing works. the weird thing is if i double click on the file it will open (although i still can't save-as). but i can not open anything by accessing the file menu or create new drawings.

can anyone help? this is really slowing me down.

(sorry for the all lower-case, my keyboard is also not working correctly as of a couple days ago!)

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: autocad 2008 crashes

This is my idea!Sometimes we can't open multiple drawings and only open single drawing.
    You can solve about this by...."SDI" value are (0 and 1). SDI means..single drawing interface.

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: autocad 2008 crashes

Thanks for the idea, but i am still having the problem.

It is not just opening files that is a problem. I can open seemingly as many files as i want by double-clicking on the file, I just can't open anything through the file menu. My SDI was already set to 0.

Any other ideas?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: autocad 2008 crashes

Quote Originally Posted by travis.181692 View Post
    Thanks for the idea, but i am still having the problem.

It is not just opening files that is a problem. I can open seemingly as many files as i want by double-clicking on the file, I just can't open anything through the file menu. My SDI was already set to 0.

Any other ideas?
    What about FILEDIA ?

Login to Give a bone

filedia is set to "1". I would like to not have to type in the file path if possible. I would rather keep double clicking on the file to open.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Have you tried running AutoCAD in "Windows XP Compatibility Mode" ?

I could stop if I wanted to artisteroi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by travis.181692 View Post
    autocad 2008 has been working fine for me for over a year. now, i can not use any of the following file menu options without causing autocad to crash: "new", "open", "save as" among others. the problem is not with the files i am trying to access. i am not even given the menu option does not come up before the program crashes.

i am running windows vista 32 bit.

we have been working out an issue with the server recently but i don't know of how it could be causing this issue, but i thought i should mention it in case that spurs any ideas.

i have tried the following:

- run a repair / reinstall on autocad.
    - i totally uninstalled and cleaned autocad off my computer and reinstalled it as described here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617.
    - i have tried this solution: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9240617

nothing works. the weird thing is if i double click on the file it will open (although i still can't save-as). but i can not open anything by accessing the file menu or create new drawings.

can anyone help? this is really slowing me down.

(sorry for the all lower-case, my keyboard is also not working correctly as of a couple days ago!)
    check your options menu and make sure the file pathways for open and save dialogs are correct. if the path names have changed due to the server work then cad may not be able to populate the pathway memory as you are trying to access the windows dialogs for save/new etc. odds are the pathways are missing or corrupted. This info is in the file tab of the options menu.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by artisteroi View Post
    check your options menu and make sure the file pathways for open and save dialogs are correct. if the path names have changed due to the server work then cad may not be able to populate the pathway memory as you are trying to access the windows dialogs for save/new etc. odds are the pathways are missing or corrupted. This info is in the file tab of the options menu.
    this is what i originally thought was wrong. however, when i uninstalled and reinstalled autocad it reset all the paths to the default location as if I had never touched the program before. I wasn't able to find any conflicts there.

I ran autocad in the system diagnostic mode of Vista (where it isolated autocad and windows on my computer) and I had the same problem in that scenario also.

The technical support person I have spoken with said it was a computer system setting that was likely causing the problem, not an autocad problem. I am not computer literate enough to figure this out apparently.

I could stop if I wanted to artisteroi's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I spoke to my IT person ands she said to check first for the vista service packs and make sure those are up to date. you may have to re-install cad after the service pack updates. If you are already up to date you need to check the privilege settings on your network pathways. Vista automatically sets permissions for users as "no save privleges" The software/ vista has to have administrative privligess forced before it will allow a user to save out side of "my documents" and if the save path is pointed at the root directory ("c") vista will do an automatic lock out of the program. Basically vista logs any software looking at the root drive as a virus. check your options menue in cad and make sure that the root directory is not one of the pathways in the autocad file location set. under the files tab in options menue. if you see a computer/c:windows or anything like that, delete that pathway. make sure you write it down first in case it is drivers or something, then you can make a copy of those drivers in a new location and re-map them. good luck

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: autocad 2008 crashes

I tried copying all support files to another location and remapping them all and that did not work.

I also disabled the "User Account Controls" which I think should have removed Vista's ability to challenge the programs privileges. Is there something else I should be trying related to the solution your IT person suggested?

Thanks for helping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast