Thread: What is your server OS?

Login to Give a bone

Default What is your server OS?

I'm trying to get a gauge of what is being used "out there". I suspect that the Novell network we're using is holding us back somewhat - but I don't have much proof to present to IT that this is the case. (Note: Forgive me if I use the wrong terms - I'm not a network guy.)

Here's what we have:

Sever OS: Novell (netware client?)

Workstation OS: Windows Vista Business, 64-bit
    Application: AutoCAD Architecture 2009

Workstation OS: Windows XP, 32-bit
    Applications: AutoCAD 2009, AutoCAD MEP 2009

I've read Autodesk documented issues with using Sheet Set Mananger and Project Navigator when on a Novell network. I have confirmed this.

Sooo, how many of you are on a Novell network - or what network are you using?

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What is your server OS?

We used to have a Novell NetWare network before we merged with a bigger company. We were forced to abandon NetWare and now we're on the bigger company's Windows Server 2003 network. Although the bigger company's network has a lot more users, groups, etc., and although I am no longer directly involved in network administration, my impression is that the Windows network is much harder and more complicated to administer. That means that Windows Server is both expensive to acquire and expensive to run.

Before the merger, we also had several SuSE Linux machines handling tasks like e-mail, a web server, a fax server, and archival storage (as you probably know, SuSE was eventually acquired by Novell). Interestingly, the acquisition cost of all the software was $0, yet it was all legal (open source). In my experience, setting up and configuring Linux network services like these can be very challenging, but once set up, they tend to stay that way and are so stable they can only be stopped by catastrophic hardware failures or somebody cutting through a power cord with a skill saw (yes, that happened to us).

Here, by contrast, we have Windows Exchange Server with MS Outlook clients. About once a month it has to be taken offline for an entire weekend for "maintenance" - not, IMO, very good performance with respect to down time. But some users do use all the calendaring and syncing features, and just cannot live without their Outlook, so that's what we have.

Hope that helps.

Login to Give a bone

As an IT guy, I abandoned Netware, what, 15 years ago. There were just too many issues, especially since our primary software is either Microsoft or Autodesk, and Autodesk has pretty good ties to Microsoft.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

We just upgraded to

Workstation OS: Windows Vista Business, 64-bit
    Application: AutoCAD Architecture 2009

Bugs are still being worked out two weeks later.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the response, guys.

It looks like we're heading towards dropping Novell completely for all our CAD users. While the transition is not wholly complete, I'm already getting feedback regarding improved network performance. Not only that, sheet set manager actually works now.