See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Insulation blocks are bad!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Insulation blocks are bad!

Tim,

Absolutely....Im not saying that this is the be-all end-all answer to drawing sections and it most definetely wont work for some. All Im looking at is saving time...i.e. have the gypsum block available so nobody has to offset lines and insert hatch everytime they want to draw gyp. Even though each building section is different, I can still do them in half the time now as opposed to before using blocks. Also keep in mind the we just started using these 6 mo. ago or less so theres still tweaking to be done.

We still maintain a detail library here but most jobs are different enough that even those cant be directly inserted without modifying them. That will be my next project...cleaning up the detail library. Im hoping that some good dynamic blocks can come from that process even if its just simply combining 6 or so similar details into a single block with a vis state param to choose the correct detail. At least that way the library size will be drastically reduced and people will be able to find what they are looking for easier.

Brent

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    Check out this thread, Frank:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...ght=rick+moore

My post shows one of our details
    Rick,

I missed this post earlier...nice plan detail...I think maybe its an addiction to see how many DBs we can cram into a drawing. I concede...you win, lol.

Brent

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

one way to get around the lineweight problems when it comes to hatching is this:

in the geometry of your DB, you have hatching that is most likely on the "0" layer with everything else, that way it takes on the properties you assign it "by layer" or "by block" in the drawing space. If you add a new layer to your standard template, you can use that layer to manipulate how things plot. for example, put all of the hatching in your gyp_brd, plywood, shingles, and other things that are too small to print at certain scales on a new layer by themselves. this way, when you have viewports with scales that are too small to see these details anyways, you can turn those layers off in that specific viewport, and not have to worry about a visibility state in the thousands of blocks in the drawing.

i think that made sense...?
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by james.126519 View Post
    one way to get around the lineweight problems when it comes to hatching is this:

in the geometry of your DB, you have hatching that is most likely on the "0" layer with everything else, that way it takes on the properties you assign it "by layer" or "by block" in the drawing space. If you add a new layer to your standard template, you can use that layer to manipulate how things plot. for example, put all of the hatching in your gyp_brd, plywood, shingles, and other things that are too small to print at certain scales on a new layer by themselves. this way, when you have viewports with scales that are too small to see these details anyways, you can turn those layers off in that specific viewport, and not have to worry about a visibility state in the thousands of blocks in the drawing.

i think that made sense...?
    it does make Great sence. It will add a few extra layers to your list. but i bet if you did it right you could narrow it down to one layer. call it A-DB-Hatch.

the problem isn't necessarily with the hatch as much as it is the lineweights. for example if you had 1 layer of GWB(sheetrock) you could have the outside line be a heavy line. but lets say you need a 2 hour wall and 2 layers of GWB then you have to make the center line a lighter line and the new inside line the heavy line. 3/4" isn't big enough to have two heavy lines that close. they will bleed together. now you've added another layer. call it A-OUTSIDE-LINE it can be done. but then there is the crossover between 3" details and 1/4 sections. the two, if done correctly could have distictly different lineweights depending on where you cut and how much your showing. i think for residential it could work for sure. especially since there are so many canned details.

In the hospital cuz of my fever for more cowbell
    Login to Give a bone

This thread has been marked for clean up and will be temporarily closed.

Apologies for any inconveniences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Return of the Cowbell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123