Thread: One WISH per POST...or else...!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Exclamation One WISH per POST...or else...!

Be aware...as of this week we begin insisting that wishlist posts are one wish per post. This has always been our "rule" but have been more than lenient regarding it's enforcement.

This may seem extra work on the part of a "wisher" but it will help organize the data and prevent the loss of good ideas because it is buried inside a long list.

If a post contains a collection of ideas, we may ask the "wisher" to reduce it to one wish first. Or we may reduce it to one wish ourselves (moderators) and return the text of the remaining wishes to you via a private message.

A wish that is a statement like "Better Text" without any substance is like asking for a nicer car...meaningless to the developer, even though it may mean you want a Mercedes. So please provide information that will help someone else understand what you need.

Poll your Wish:
    It will be greatly appreciated if you add a poll to your wish (we intend to add them to wishes, going forward, as much as possible). Please use the following criteria...

In Favor
    Not In Favor
    Not Relevant
    (Voter doesn't or wouldn't use the feature and isn't important to them)
    Don't Understand (The voter doesn't relate to the wish or its explanation is too confusing)
    Already Can (not with workarounds, might end up back in General as a question as a result)

(Don't include the explanations in parenthesis)

We thank you, the Revit product team will thank you....you'll thank you...
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-09-29 at 03:17 PM.

All AUGI, all the time

Default Re: One WISH per POST...or else...!

What would the policy be on a post like this that I started in the past. There are a number of wishes but they all relate to text. Seems more manageable as one post than eleven separate posts. I suppose that some posts will simply require judgement calls by the moderators.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bclarch
    ...I suppose that some posts will simply require judgement calls by the moderators...
    Robert,

Absolutely, legacy posts that are a compilation of ideas will be left alone most likely. We will act on present and future posts.

In my view your example would be fine as one wish because you are dealing with a single feature, even though there are multiple concepts within that feature, and it is logically grouped as such. Revit Development would most likely group the items had they been separate anyway. What we are most concerned about are lists of ideas that are disparate, for example, if your list also included rendering ideas.

To our members in general:

We hope that it won't take much time or effort to find our members putting this into practice.

If members still want to compile their list of wishes, please continue to do so. First, send it to Revit support directly so they (Revit Development) can organize the information as they see fit. Second, members can also post their list here as an attachment so it is easy for the development team (and members) to access (download), yet knowing it will get ignored in any sorting/evaluation process we develop here. Moderators can move/merge these compiled lists in a single thread ideally or better yet, members will just add their list to the same thread.

To make the wishlist as accessible and friendly as possible from a database point of view we need to have individual records (wishes) that a query (analysis/questions) can be used to assemble the information in meaningful ways.

We don't want to inhibit the flow of ideas and to avoid that we need to make sure it is meaningful, accessible and organized.

Last...do keep in mind that, at this time, the next release (7.0) is a foregone conclusion...virtually. Too little time left to execute any significant changes before its release. So the wishes we make now, that aren't already answered, are really a means to focus on the versions that follow.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-09-29 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Last...do keep in mind that, at this time, the next release (7.0) is a foregone conclusion...virtually. Too little time left to execute any significant changes before its release. So the wishes we make now, that aren't already answered, are really a means to focus on the versions that follow.
    That will make Autodesk happy, as those wishes already covered by the new release they can happily check-off to show how they respond to user's wishes!

I could stop if I wanted to ita's Avatar

In fact it would appear that a great majority of the wish list items are already in 7.0!!